adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Create a poll.

Is it a good book?
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Thanks alot Mikey for reminding me just how old I'm getting to be :x

When I read that book Ray Bergman was still alive and was a regular contributor to the outdoor magazines. I was probably in my early 20's and just starting to fly fish.

Jeez,at times it seems like yesterday and yet at the same time it seems as though it were eons ago. To be quite honest I don't remember that much about the book but do recall that I always enjoyed Reading his articles. And it was through Ray Bergman that I first became aware of Lyle Dickerson and his great bamboo rods. :D

Will
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

adam wrote:Create a poll.

Is it a good book?
a poll is not necessary. it is a GREAT book. I am about to read it (or portions of it) for the third time. I love it.
zenflyfisher

Post by zenflyfisher »

That was one of the first books in my collection along with Joe Brooks Trout Fishing. That was over 30 years ago. The collection has grown to almost 500 books now and these are still a cople of my favorites. They take me back to my beginnings every time I flip thru them
Mark
Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over
matsoberg
Maker: Mats Oberg

Post by matsoberg »

I have it, but have not read it.

:oops:

Got it as a birthday present on my 50:th birthday among alot of other stuff. So it went on the shelf and been sitting there since...
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

matsoberg wrote:I have it, but have not read it.

:oops:

Got it as a birthday present on my 50:th birthday among alot of other stuff. So it went on the shelf and been sitting there since...

:lol: Well Mats,look at it this way.At least they haven't pu you on a shelf yet.There's still time to read it!
Will
matsoberg
Maker: Mats Oberg

Post by matsoberg »

Heck yes, now with the long and dark season ahead there´s a lot of time to leaf through it. Good thing Mikey brought it up, otherwise I´d probably forgot about it completely (like I hadn´t done that already... :roll: )

// Mats
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
Bamboo Addict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Addict »

This is a MUST read book. Out of the 500+ books I have in my Library I tell new and old fly fishers it should be the first book they read and reread. I find them at used book stores,garage sales and second hand stores for a buck or less and give them to young FF's. The information is still as good as it was back then.
David
Cross Creek

Post by Cross Creek »

"Trout" was my second fly fishing book. The first was "Fishing with Bergman," which included casting and spinning as well. Both were purchased through the Outdoor Life Book Club, which introduced me to a lot of other great writers, as well. At the time, I subscribed to Field & Stream, Sports Afield, and Outdoor Life for less than $5 (combined), to indicate how many decades ago that was! I don't know what happened to those books after I grew up, but I've replaced most of them.
-Arthur