2010 Camp Sherman

under the big tent
matsoberg
Maker: Mats Oberg

Post by matsoberg »

I was about to book the tickets on the net but found that there was a limit for the amount of luggage with Delta/KLM/Northwest. One luggage only with a max weight of 20 kilo (44 lbs).
So, no rod tube...

I need to call a travel agent tomorrow.
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
PMcRoberts
Dunsmuir Shingle Shaker

Luggage

Post by PMcRoberts »

I am not a big fan of the airlines!! Last year was the first time I have ever really travelled. Not only were the tickets expensive, but at the gate they charged me for every piece of luggage!!! On one trip, I actually shipped my rods and gear to the hotel, and only took a carry on. It may be something to consider??

Paul

PS- I am sure you could probably find a guy in the states that would let you use his rods while your here!!!
Keep smiling........it makes people wonder what you're up to!!!
matsoberg

Re: Luggage

Post by matsoberg »

PMcRoberts wrote:I am not a big fan of the airlines!! Last year was the first time I have ever really travelled. Not only were the tickets expensive, but at the gate they charged me for every piece of luggage!!! On one trip, I actually shipped my rods and gear to the hotel, and only took a carry on. It may be something to consider??

Paul

PS- I am sure you could probably find a guy in the states that would let you use his rods while your here!!!
I don´t like airlines either... never did. Last time in Portland Andy´s rod was left behind in Amsterdam and we could pick it up 24 hours later. One time in Auckland, NZ the rods were on their way to Brisbane, Australia and on the way back home the tube got bent to look like a hockey stick...

Yes, I´m sure I´ll get to borrow a rod for me and my son, but we both have obligations to bring a few sticks over so we need to find a solution. I guess the solution is an extra fee...

Sending them might be an option as long as customs issues could be solved. Will look into that. Thanks.
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
timaaron

Post by timaaron »

Mats - When I traveled to Europe last spring - I was able to carry my rod tube on the plane - along with my normal carry on bag - for no extra charge. That has also worked for me several times traveling throughout the US - the only airport I did have a problem at (where they required me to check it) was in Edinburgh - so its probably best to check. In Edinburgh - the airline (Delta/NWA) was going to allow me to carry it on - but security wouldn't allow me to bring it through the security checkpoint. On the plane, when I was able to carry on, I just threw it up in the overhead bin.
matsoberg

Post by matsoberg »

That´s exactly what I´m working on right now Tim. But thanks for your info anyway. I got hold of a nice babe at the travel agency (good looking also...) who´s into this as we speak.
That would be the ultimate option. No worries about them luggage throwers, lost stuff in luggage transit and all that crap.

Internet is a wonderful thing and booking flights is a piece of cake, but when it comes to stuff like this you really need to be able to talk to a human being.
www.scandcane.com

On the river

Post by On the river »

FYI there is a big push for the airlines to start charging for all luggage except that which fits under your seat. Any carry on tthat would fit in the over head will now be charged for at the time of checkin. It's Crap I tell you Crap!! It is getting to be that you have to be rich or something hooked up to travel anymore.....what happend to the HoBo way of life?? :lol:
Rafael

There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after. JRR Tolkien
matsoberg

Post by matsoberg »

I´m with you on the crap Rafael. And this stuff has happened in just a year or two.

I´ll just have to pay extra for the rod tube as both me and my son will fill the duffels with all the other stuff. I´ll make a sturdy one from plumbing pipe and pray that it doesn´t end up in Koala Lumpur or something...
Delta/Northwest/KLM has something called "Extended Value Insurance" which will cover you up to 5,000.00 bucks, so that´ll be needed in this case.

Chris, how about your airline? You´re in for an extra fee for all your rods?
www.scandcane.com

adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

http://www.allegiantair.com/

Leaving PHX on July 16 and returning the 19th.

Steve, which town is best to fly in on so I can follow you in or if it isn't too much trouble...
Carlin
Maker: Far North Rodsmiths

Post by Carlin »

Alaska hits you for $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second - each way of course. At least they aren't charging for carry-on luggage yet...

In-state rates are different and you can carry three 50lb bags with minor upcharges for oversize which is nice if you are going on a long float or hunting trip.

No clue what the other airlines that fly to AK are charging.
Chris

timaaron

Post by timaaron »

Adam - Bend is the closest airport (I think) to Camp Sherman - about an hour or less away. If you want to drive over with Steve (assuming he is leaving from his house) - fly in to Portland - which is about a 3-4 hour drive to camp sherman.