2009 Camp Sherman

under the big tent
matsoberg
Maker: Mats Oberg

Post by matsoberg »

I cast Jerry´s collection and his "big butt", a couple of Kiley´s rods, Chris´ hollowed 3-piece Perfectionist and another little baby that I don´t remember what it was, Jerry Kustich´s 9 foot 9wt (Cannon!), Kope´s crummy stick, Brock´s original 8½ foot E.C. Powell B-taper and a quite a few more I think...

Hell, I liked them all... :lol:

Don´t know what to say about Kope´s pole... I laid out 65 feet with ease with that thing and it felt kinda cool. LOL. :lol:

One thing that´s bugging me tho is that I got skunked on the Metolius this time. Must have upset her in some way. I need to go back to make that up.
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
timaaron

Post by timaaron »

Thanks Ken. Can't say enough about you or the weekend. It was incredible.

Mats - if it makes you feel any better - I got skunked two straight days fishing that same big eddy I saw you heading towards. Oh well - maybe next time. It was pretty frustrating though because there were some nice redisdes in there - feeding on everything but the 20 or so patterns I threw at them.
Carlin
Maker: Far North Rodsmiths

Post by Carlin »

Yep, that was the one!

For those of you who couldn't make the show, this was a rod made out of one piece of unsplit bamboo that Robert literally found growing in his back yard. He simply tossed on a grip, guides, etc. and called it good. I think it was something like an 8' 5wt.

The kicker is that it was really an awesome casting rod. Very smooth with a nice tippy action and excellent turnover. It pisses me off that we put so much effort into taking full culms, splitting, shaping, etc. only to have Robert show us up with a stick he found in his yard. :evil: The only saving grace is it looked like ass so I guess I'll keep making these damn poles for a while longer. :wink:
Chris

Umpqua Beaver

Post by Umpqua Beaver »

Ah yes, the Dickerson Huck Finn series. When he brought that thing into camp, the first thing I thought was that there was no way you could shoot line past those nodes, but it was quite a caster. After he was complaining that the pvc tube he made for it was bent and misshapen from the sun, we renamed it the Dickerson Huck Fenwick.

Great pics Mats--thanks.
roycestearns

Post by roycestearns »

The funny thing was watching people cast it, I did and I think most that pick it up don't expect much from it. When they start throwing line with it a strange smile starts walking across their face as if they are somewhere between surprise and to many drinks. The thing is extremely tippy but only in the last 8-10 inches .

Fun stuff.
Royce

"I invented the cordless extension cord. " stephen wright
Jerry Foster
Maker: Jerry Foster

Post by Jerry Foster »

Hi All

Ron, it was a pleasure to meet Joe..see you again, and of course Dad

Ken..what a pleasure..

Mats, join the crowd. No fish on the Met, how strange..

Royce..do we know each other?

great trip
Umpqua Beaver

Post by Umpqua Beaver »

Always a pleasure, Jerry. Looking forward to Dunsmuir. It's been too hot to get the new rod out to try--geez, I just realized that I was wrong about not getting any new rods last year. How could I forget that beautiful Big Butt?

Joe and I are taking a road trip to Colorado next week, and I plan to use the Wizard in the Blue River below Lake Dillon. Hopefully, I'll have some good pics to send.
roycestearns

Post by roycestearns »

Jerry,
We have not officially met, but I'll bet we have passed each other with out knowing it a number of times. I've been up and down skyway and clark rd to many times to count pre-boo. We will make introductions some day.
Royce

"I invented the cordless extension cord. " stephen wright
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

More Photos(about time, too!)

Post by SnooKen »

Head of the Metolius at dawn, Thursday.

Upper Metolius from Camp Sherman Store.

The Store at sunup.

Metolius Hatchery Bridge/Wizard Falls

Wizard Falls

Canyon Creek just behind my tent, about 100 feet up from the Metolius

The Canyon Creek Camp

Junction of the Metolius & Canyon Creek

Typical Junction trout just hanging out. :lol:

The Metolius just below Canyon Creek

The "Choke Point" on the Metolius/Native American site at Canyon Creek

Gotta' take a break and finish a couple of hours of charting but if the energy holds I'll post more tonight, this time the people.

Ken
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

A few more shots

Post by SnooKen »

Canyon Creek Camp Casting Convention. That's Roseburg Tim with rod in hand being observed from the left background by his buddy Roseburg Mike while Steve Kiley in the foreground screens the mysterious Jerry Foster.

Looking upstream on the Metolius from Camp Shining Waters where the Roberts stayed.

Jerry Foster, The Wizard of Roddz. Camp Shining Waters.

The spirit falls just downstream from Canyon Creek Camp.

Steve "Aarrgh" Kiley, a true Mountain Pirate, watching the sunset from the east rim of the Metolius Basin.

Sunset from the east rim.

Josie and Tim Aaron, Sunday afternoon at the gathering.

Chris Carlin and his Mom.

Jerry Foster and Jerry Kustich at the Sweetgrass booth.

The "Bull Hole Flats".

The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.