2009 Greys River Cuttie-thon!

under the big tent
O clarki

2009 Greys River Cuttie-thon!

Post by O clarki »

Well, in two days I leave western Montana and head for NW Wyoming, to Jackson Hole, then on to find camp and the starting line on the Greys River, to begin the 5th annual Cuttie-thon. For those who haven't heard of the event, you can read a bit about it at: www.cuttiethon.org, but briefly, it is a true fly-fishing marathon where participants fish by wading upstream for a minimum of 26.2 miles in one continuous effort. I started the event to raise money for native Cutthroat trout populations, and to encourage those with diabetes to live adventurous lives; I am a type I diabetic. The first three 'Thons were done on the Yellowstone River in the Paradise Valley. Last year I partnered with Wyoming Trout Unlimited and moved the event to the Greys River to help with TU's fund-raising efforts for several projects they are working on.

We will start Wed., Aug. 12th and continue well in to the 13th, finishing about 33 hours after we started. I figure it's the most extreme fly-fishing event in the world, where participants fish a longer distance and time than anyone has documented, on foot. The Greys route is about 26.5 miles long.

To help raise money, this year I am selling raffle tickets for a guided fly-fishing trip for two anglers on either the Bitterroot, Missouri, Blackfoot or Clark Fork rivers, next season. Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. I will hold the drawing March 15th, 2010. The trip is being donated by Joel Thompson of Montana Troutaholics: www.montanatroutaholics.com, and I will be guiding the trip.

Also, I have custom-roasted coffee, for sale at $12/bag. It is roasted by Salmonfly Coffee Roasters in Butte, MT, and is some of the best French Roast I have had. It is whole bean to protect flavor and wake your ass up!

Also, film-maker Justin Stroup, will be filming a documentary on the Cuttie-thon and myself! I'm pretty stoked about this project and hope it will get people fired-up to help. Justin is starting his own filming business, and chose to donate time and equipment to do a documentary on me this year. The film will be shown at festivals around the country, hopefully including the fly-fishing film festival as well as other events. I'll keep you updated, as the project builds speed. Interviews start this evening.

Please make checks payable to Cuttie-thon Foundation, 606 S. Main St., Buffalo, WY 82834. Just make a note of how many tickets and/or bags of coffee you want, and we'll fire 'em off to you.

Mojo pointing a Snake River Cutthroat I caught after about 24 hours of fishing. The rod is a Matt Schliske creation: www.bamboo-fisher.com, he donated for my use last year on the Greys. It was a great rod that went all 26.5 miles for 33 1/2 hours, and caught more fish than any other rod on the river! :twisted:
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

...actually, www.bamboo-fisher.com ( www.stream-fisher.com, www.smallstreams.com a couple of others) is my creation, I named the web site for a project we were heading up, we were doing a co-op but it didn't work out. Matt's work is Matt's, mine is mine, blah blah blah but that was very cool for him to donate a rod and really cool for you to report it here.

Nice, awesome and wow.

Thanks fo sharing.
O clarki

Post by O clarki »

Thanks for the background info., and wishing us luck!