Hey! Top Ramen

recipes and ideas
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Hey! Top Ramen

Post by Troutgetter »

I'm freaking starving to death!
Someone post a cheap, easy campfire dinner eh?

PS...I mean CHEAP! I get 6 packs of Top Ramen Chicken flavor for a buck.
Like:
One package of top ramen with one chopped green onion thrown in while the water is coming to a boil and waiting for the nerdells to get soft.
PS a chopped jalapeno also can do wonders for this little thing
What's your fav icheban recipe?
Don't get fucking extravagent with stuff like real meat! Is chicken really meat?

ANY cheap meal...freaking put it up before I expire...fried potatoes...ya know? Not that Potatos are particularly cheap anymore...

OK here's one...1 can campbells' (or equivelant) tomato soup, one can water, half bag (6oz) of elbow macaroni.
Throw can of (opened, you dopes, don't just throw a can of soup in a pot and expect something magic to happen) soup in a pot, add the can of water and the half bag of nerdells. Keep stirrin' until the noodles are cooked. If you don't, you might as well throw the pot away because it will be impossible to clean the burned noodles off the pot. Nerdells are filling, soup is tasty, let the other guy do the dishes. Feeds one for sure, two if you're somewhat friends. OR...feeds you and yer dog no problem.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Mike,
Try the Ramen noodles without the chicken flavor or you can substitute rice(cheap and filling).Put it on a plate after cooking and top with a can of Campbells (or store brand) chunky sirloin soup. It's tasty and filling plus you get meat and potatoes in the soup.
Will
Carlin
Maker: Far North Rodsmiths

Post by Carlin »

First off, have you ever tried Ramen dry? I eat the stuff like snack food. Just give the bag a solid punch to break everything up, dump in about half the season packet (that stuff goes a long way dry) and shake her up. Now just dive it. Mmm mmm!

As for a really good cheap meal that'll last all week, here is a recipe from my great grandmother that is fantastic. It doesn't really sound all that good on paper but everyone who has ever had it loves it (as long as you're sleeping alone). My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Corn bread is a nice accoutrement but not necessary.

Nana's Beans and Ham

1.5-2lbs dry white lima beans
1-2 onions, chopped
2-3 Ham Hocks
1 bay leaf
lots of black pepper
salt

Rinse beans and boil in large pot of water for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for 1 hour. Drain. Or put beans in large bowl of water and let soak overnight.

In large soup pot (4+ quarts) but beans, ham hocks and onion. Add black pepper, bay leaf and salt to taste. I don't usually add much salt as the ham hocks are reasonably salty and you can always add more later.

Bring to a boil then simmer for about 2 hours. Turn off heat, remove ham hocks and trim off any meat you can and return the meat to the pot. Stir well and let cool for 15 minutes or so.

Like chili, this stuff is even better after sitting in the fridge overnight. Yum!

I've given the cooled bones to my dogs in the past without any problems. I know lots of people say pork, chicken and turkey bones are bad for dogs but I've never had problems with pork. Your call though.
Last edited by Carlin on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chris

Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

Thanks brother!
Any more youse lazy louts?
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Here's another bean based recipe that I cook in a pressure cooker, You do need to be careful pressure cooking beans. Hopefully, you have one with a safety release, just in case the beans foam up. I have never had a problem. I like adzuki beans, but any smaller dried bean is OK. I have used black eyed peas, great northerns, etc. Pressure cook one cup beans with 2 cups water and a small splash of olive oil for 20 minutes. Watch the cooker to make sure it's still hissing and the beans haven't absorbed the water. The oil prevents foaming. Don't use salt yet, as that makes the beans skins stay tough. Release the pressure, and add:
A small can of tomato sauce. (I think they are 6 ounces)
about 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
about 1/2 cup chopped onion
a little chile powder, or a package of sazon goya
a little more water, only if needed
Pressure cook another 15-20 minutes. Serve over cooked rice, topped with shredded cheese and raw chopped onion. If you are feeling flush, replace one cup of the water with red wine. You can also toss in a pork chop at the second pressure cooking. Cheap, filling, and tasty.
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick »

OH - I should have said that if you don't have a pressure cooker, you can cook the beans in water using the soaking method Chris describes, boil until the beans are soft, then drain off most of the water, add the other stuff and cook until done.
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

That sounds damn tasty! I mean really tasty!

Way more stuff than I usually have on hand for bean making but...I should get some stuff I guess...
You know, I am so lazy when it comes to cooking.
a pound of pinto's,
an onion,
plenty o'salt
bacon or whatever if there is any meat to spare in the shop.
Fill the cooker to the top with water,
Go to work.
Start at 5AM, eat at 5PM
Tom Smithwick

More bean stuff

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Here's an easier recipe that's really pretty good, even though it uses canned beans. It's a well know Dutch oven recipe.
1/2 lb bacon
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion
1 small green pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar. Use the dark stuff
1/2 cup ketchup
16 ounce bottle of homestyle chile sauce
2 Tablespoons mustard
1/2 lb precooked ham, cubed
2 31 oz cans pork and beans, drained

Brown and crumble up the bacon, brown and break up the ground beef. Add the onion and pepper and cook until done. Drain off the fat. Add all other ingredients except the beans and cook for 15 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for at least 1/2 hour, longer is better if you have the time. Corn bread works great with this. In your case, buy yourself a corn muffin or two, freeze the excess beans in meal size containers, and you won't need to be hungry for quite a while.
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

Tom brother...I luvs ya...
But that meal would cost like 35 bucks where I live. I mean I REALLY WOULD love to taste that. Get full and sassy on that.
Bacon here is abot 7 bucks a pound, ham that one could cube up is well...priceless. In fact it can't be had here. I would have to drive to phoenix to get it. Fuel is currently about 4 bucks a gallon, there's 20 bucks right there. Brown sugar CAN be had here but that's about the end of your recipe. I mean a freaking onion is a buck and you throw half away. A can of Pork & Beans (sans weenies) is two bucks.
To make that meal is ludicrous!
Hence I go back to my original question...
What do you louts dress up your Top Ramen with? I like a chopped green onion come to a boil add nerdles, wiat until they're done and throw in the teeny weeny packet of chicken flavor. An onion and a freaking Jalapeno when I can actually find one to buy.

Now I don't buy the beef flavor or shrimp flavor Ramen.
Should I and what can I do to dress it up a bit? I've tried the cat food Ramen...didn't care for it.
What wouldn't give for a freaking Filet and lobster tail on the bar B, Asparagas, fresh hot bread and a got damn martini!
Don't even start with "How about a roasted Pheasant?
Hell even something OTHER than GRAPE jelly would be welcome!

PS edit thing...excuse the typo's...
I'm hungry!
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Try some rice based dishes.

Rice is inexpensive and great food, you can get a lot of rice for just a little.

Chicken, it is really inexpensive.

Vegetables.

Asian chicken salad, dry ramen, shredded lettuce or cabbage, chicken, teriyaki.

Crock pot.

Beans.

Canned food can be hit or miss.

Macaroni, fave inexpensive.

Grilled cheese, american slices and white bread, miracle whip.

Write the stuff you like down on the back of an envelope and take it to the store with you so you don't get side tracked with the filet mignon staring at you.

Cereal, plastic bag kind is inexpensive, good for breakfast.

Hope this helps, I'll think of some more.