Grandma's Cornbread

recipes and ideas
Flywalker

Grandma's Cornbread

Post by Flywalker »

As simple a thing as you can cook, but it will keep the meat on your ribs for dirt cheap. A basic, Southern side that goes with beans, greens, or catfish. Or all of the above. Best if you have a deep cast iron skillet.

This is my late grandmother's recipe (which explains the imprecise measurements), as I wrote it down the night I called her shortly after moving out on my own and realizing I couldn't cook. She may have gotten it off the back of a cornmeal box for all I know. Regardless, it's cornbread the way I remember it. I often double it to make a thicker pone.

slightly less than 1/4 cup oil (maybe 3/16 cup?)
1 cup white corn meal
2 tablespoons flour
slightly less than a teaspoon salt
heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg
"enough milk to make it the right consistency" (try 1/2 to 3/4 cup)

1. preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. add the oil to the skillet and heat it in the oven while mixing the other ingredients
3. Mix everything else in a glass bowl
4. pour the hot oil (carefully!) into the bowl with the other ingredients and mix
5. pour batter back in the hot, greased skillet; give it a shake to level the top of the batter, and put it back in the oven
6. bake for roughly 18-20 minutes... a butter knife stuck in the middle should come out clean when it's done

Enjoy!
canerodscom
Bad Ass Voice of Calm Reason

Post by canerodscom »

Mmm, Mmmm! Only change I would suggest trying is substituting bacon grease for the oil. Doesn't do much for your waistline, but sure does taste good.

Harry
Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com

http:/www.canerods.com
http:/www.canerods.com/fixtures.html

(318) 435-5476 home phone
(318) 282-1825 shop and cell phone
Flywalker

good call

Post by Flywalker »

That sounds good, Harry. But I try to limit my bacon grease intake...

to what I put in the greens. :lol: Or a nice ham bone... Seriously, though, I'll have to give that a try.