Fishing by Satellite

fixed line fly fishing
pcg

Post by pcg »

Fish & fishing technique aside, these streams/rivers are what we call in river morphology "Rosgen E-type streams." They're meandering, low gradient rivers that have slopes of less than 2%, typically (but not always) narrow suckers--8 to 30-feet wide, and frequently in the spring or during mega-storms they overtop their banks. Usually have decent floodplains.

Beautiful countryside, indeed. And wonderful habitat for small trout!
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

pcg wrote:Fish & fishing technique aside, these streams/rivers are what we call in river morphology "Rosgen E-type streams." They're meandering, low gradient rivers that have slopes of less than 2%, typically (but not always) narrow suckers--8 to 30-feet wide, and frequently in the spring or during mega-storms they overtop their banks. Usually have decent floodplains.

Beautiful countryside, indeed. And wonderful habitat for small trout!
I just fucking love this. thanks.
I need to dig further into this river morphology stuff. sounds like my cuppa brew.

you can step across that stream up near the top. I think I walked right through it w/out knowing it at one point.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

clik image

Check it out, he is right.

I do this in the sky, micro-meteorology. Try flow mapping when you can't see the medium, throw in the orographic, temperature, altitude density, it becomes a very fun game. The hydrology, water, flow, much easier. The science of air and liquid... flow, it is much in the same, just a different scale.

I'm with Mikey, amazing.
pcg

Post by pcg »

Adam, your illustration is right out of one of Rosgen's books. In my trade we call Rosgen the "River God." The man is a phenomena.

There's now about 50 years of good science in the study of how rivers move & behave, their dynamics & activity. It IS very cool. And IMHO the knowledge is a super tool for fishermen.

Plus just fun to learn.

If anyone wants to learn more, see books by Luna Leopold and Dave Rosgen. And I can recommend titles. A couple of their books are for working hydrologists, while a couple are easily accessible.

Pat
SAltsh

Post by SAltsh »

Pat- Have you seen "Stream Dynamics for the Complete Fly Fisherman" by Robert Miller, a geologist in Tenn. (published by Whitefish Press)? - on my pile of books to read this winter. Looks interesting.
-Steve
"On the radio, Muddy Waters gave way to Willie Dixon and Homesick James Williamson. In the back seat sat a choir of willowy, supple fly rods, rods with trout in them and stories to collect, gospels according to Orvis, Powell, R.L. Winston, and Phillipson." Harry Middleton, The Earth is Enough
pcg

Post by pcg »

Hi Steve,

Yes I read it about 6 mths ago. Decent read, inexpensive and written from the POV of a fly fisherman. It's full of habitat observations. It remains on my bookshelf.

And it certainly raises the consciousness of the typical fisherman, who, frankly, doesn't think too much about what's happening to the water around his feet.

To get deeper into stream geometry and obtuse stuff you have to dive into either Leopold or Rosgen.

Pat
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

looks like I've gotta read that rogsen guy...how about a recommendation for the layfisherman?

my goodness holy crap but those books are expensive!
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

Memory upgrade is cheap and easy. I went from the stock 512K to 4 gigs and loaded almost all the western US from topo. es groovy.
I'm thinking of selling mine. Haven't used it since last summer.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

That would be a GREAT deal for anyone that wants to get into a GPS that is excellent for car, boat and a hike. I think you have the same version as I do with upgrades.

I use mine consistantly through the year. Even though I want a smaller unit (*gasp*) I'm still hanging on to this one.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Not meaning to hijack the thread BUT Shay this is the 2nd day this week you've posted.Are you back online yet or just an extra trip to the library?

I miss your participation brother.
Love ya( in a rodmakers kind of way,of course!) :lol:

Will