Tenkara

fixed line fly fishing
pcg

Post by pcg »

Thanks, CM... all thought-provoking comments.

As a long-time fly caster (everything from 7-footers to 15' Spey rods), I have to regear my brain for the Tenkara. And I agree that I'm probably overpowering. Time will smooth that sort of problem out.

I'll also post a query on the Tenkara forum about the grip to rouse additional opinions.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

CM_Stewart wrote:but I'll always fish the lightest one I can get away with.

The casting stroke itself requires almost no force, so you may be overpowering it. That seems to be a common problem for first time users.

On the Ebisu grip, all I can say is that Daniel Galhardo, the designer, doesn't oil his. A little very fine sandpaper after a year or so has it looking like new, he says.
Same, I agree with Chris.

I've used my Ebisu in wind, casting between gusts, I like a little heavier line to work with but "heavy" is not really a good word as just about all the lines mentioned are super ultra-light. Take a look at the Phoenix silk lines web site, they sell a silk tapered braided leader, that may just do it for me in the future.

The pine handle is not dirty one bit and that is after a few outings and in the pack and laying in the grass and usage. I've soaked it, washed it, it just seems right as a handle material. I would not do anything to it other than sand it down to like 800 grit when you feel like you want a brand new grip again. I'm leaving mine alone and seeing if it will patina.

You might want to try a bit of Amnesia for a line?

Or try finding some super small running line?

The guy on eBay might sell you a bit of 000-weight, if you need, I'll buy some with you. I like a PVC line because this is what I know but I'm moving towards Chris and the tenkara purists type of level line because far and away, it is stealthy as you can be.

And oh, casting it is nothing like a fly rod, much much much softer in stroke, absolutely just moving the rod will cast the line. Think slower and softer.
pcg

Post by pcg »

Thanks, Adam. And CM. You are guys are invaluable.

Level lines: Adam, if you want to purchase what's needed, I'll half w/ you. But I defer to you in terms of what to pick up. I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of this technique.

Pat
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

We need to get a few of us who own the rods and buy a 000 weight line and divide it up.

I'm in, maybe Tom? you, pretty soon it gets pretty cheap. You don't need ten feet but that is what we should block it out to. I think Sage is the only one to make it. I want a level piece, no head, an end piece with taper is fine...
pcg

Post by pcg »

I'm in.

If I miss anything here, please PM me. Couple crazy weeks coming up. :)
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

for lines has anyone tryed using the new generation of braided bait casting or gear lines ,you know the thin high strength stuff,and treating it like you would a new untreated silk line to give it a bit of body,i think you could make any type of line wt.you want for this style of fishing.just a thought ,steve
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I think you are talking the spider type lines?

Good idea.

I'll take a look in the store.
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

i think thats one of them,there are a bunch out now,never paid much attention to them untill now,steve
Tom Smithwick

Tenkara lines

Post by Tom Smithwick »

I'm in if you want to try some of the 000. On windy days, I've been using a length of running line I cut off a WF3, I also have a line made up of about 5 feet of that, and a braided silk Terenzio leader. It's a bit more delicate, for more moderate winds, but heavier than the furled tenkara line. It would not be if it was all silk. I also think I'm heading in the lighter direction as Chris suggests. It will help me on the spring creeks around here, where a drag free drift is imperative.
I actually fished a streamer for a while with the tenkara rod a few days ago. About a size 8 which may be too big. I mended downstream, and let the fly swim across. I had a couple hits, but no hookups. I'm not sure if it was short strikes or I just could not stick the fish with the soft rod. I'm going to try again with smaller hooks.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

000-weight line source

Pat
Tom
Adam

--------------------

I primarily use a Sage 00-weight PVC line. It is a good overall line, I can even cast it effectively in a light wind. I think a 000-weight line would be slightly better.

I will source the line, find out how long it is and contact each of you before I buy it along with what length you can expect.

Tom, just so you know, if I land 10, I lose another 5 because the rod is so soft. I am getting better though. The presentation is so effective but the supple tip prevents me from catching every take. No big deal, I'm still learning the rod but I have a feeling that I'll lose more to the rod than I do with any conventional fly rod of my choosing.