new forum

hike in fishing
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

new forum

Post by adam »

I am very excited about exploring the seldom visited streams in our state. There are a few that are worthy of hiking a big section with maybe an overnight or definately an all day hike. With the advent of all the neat ultra-light equipment, it's not a hassle to carry all the gear to overnight or to cook a nice meal on the stream.

So this forum will be for trip planning and sharing information for trips that require a backpack and or an overnighter out in the forest.

I am going to fish the Grand Canyon this next year. There are a few streams that are seldom fished that I want to get to. These are pretty hard to get to but hey, the Grand Canyon. A couple of other streams on the Mogollon Rim and in the Whites that deserve a little attention from me.

Far from the car, on foot, get 'er done.

I can't be the only coot here that has a little back pack trip in the works...
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

I think I'm too old for that shit.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

aguafria wrote:I think I'm too old for that shit.
Fair enough.

I am not.
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

This really floats my boat, and I'm especially obsessing about this very thing lately. I climbed Mt. Whitney with 6 friends in late August, and while acclimatizing in the days leading up to the main event, we hiked into the Golden Trout wilderness and did some fishing. I have never been there before, and it was just so freaking awesome. The climb was such a rush, as well as the fishing, that my plan is to next year start in the GTW and make the hike a 2-4 day affair with much fishing along the way. Then we summit and fish the creeks on the way down that day. There were fish everywhere in the creeks as we descended, and I was tired, but kicking myself that I didn't have a rod with me.

You are correct- the gear is so light nowadays that you can carry a sleeping bag, pad, tent, and backpack- all of it weighing less than 10 pounds. Your whole pack with all the food and accoutrements can be less than 30 pounds. Having done this deal already, you do need to be in decent shape. But the experience was truly worth it.

Here I am with a decent Golden from one of Cotttonwood Lakes

Standing at the summit of Whitney, the tallest peak in the lower 48

adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Nice!

Now imagine being a couple, few thousand feet circling above the summit hut, right there...

That's flying in the Owens Valley.

Back to earth.

Yup, I'm zeroing in on UL gear. I'm about to buy a stove, a tiny little thing capable of JetBoil type performance. I'm looking at a system for sleeping light and comfortable too. I have a thing about bugs, I've been zapped by some pretty nasty critters, centipedes, scorpions and such, I gotta have a secure sleep, no problem on the ground, just gotta have mesh between me and the outside world.

I'm planning a couple of push through type adventures with an overnight in there. It's looking like a solo thing for me, I can definately depend on myself and it's going to be a little scary way out there by my lonesome but this is what I want if only for a night or two a year.

Thanks for ringing in, stay tuned, I promise to review a list of gear I'm going to use, GPS techniques, cooking, thoughts and fishing gear as well.

This is going to be fun and thank you for posting those images, I would have liked to see a bamboo rod though...
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

I would have loved to have packed my bamboo rod back into the GTW, but it is a 2 piece and we were carrying packs. I was fortunate to have a buddy with an extra 4 piece, and it fit nicely into my pack for the hike (we were first and foremost hiking up to altitude to acclimatize, and the fishing was gravy).

For great gear reviews, check out the following:
*April 2009 Backpacker magazine's Gear Guide. It's chock full of gear reviews.
*Outside magazine's Buyer's Guide (Summer 2009)- more gear reviews
The following websites for more gear reviews and information:
http://www.trailspace.com/
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... index.html (they seem to push a lot of their own label)

Additionally, REI has reviews associated with almost all of the products that they sell online. ( http://www.rei.com/ )