living outside

hike in fishing
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Adam,

I've seen nothing but great advice so far.I certainly respect your thoughts in regards to not carrying a sidearm but like Steve,I wouldn't venture out in this day and age without mine.You may inadvertainly stumble into someones marijuana farm.It happens in Ca. all the time.With that out of the way I'd like to add a few thoughts.

Starting a fire is a #1 priority in a survival situation for many reasons which I won't elaborate on because I would probably just be repeating stuff you already know.I have found 2 things to be invaluable in addition to waterproof matches.My survival kit always contains a 2" long X 1" thick candle stub and a 4/0 steel wool pad.These 2 items add maybe 1 1/2 oz to the weight.In case of wet weather the candle stub will burn longer and hotter than matches and the steel wool will make for dry extremely hot burning tinder to help ignite damp twigs.My survival kit is approximately 6" long x 2" thick x 4" wide weighs less than 8oz and I put it inside of a heavy duty 1qt. zip lock freezer bag for even more waterproof protection.Another thing that hasn't been mentioned,I also have a small metal police whistle in the kit.It can be heard for much longer distances than the human voice.A great place to find the candle I mentioned is in a craft store.They are the ones made to fit inside the little glass decorative votive jars which many women use for home decor.

Even though I don't own one,and you may be in an area with no reception,a cell phone could be a lifesaver and considering that they can be carried in a small pouch on your belt I would definately buy one if I were still capable of hiking in wilderness areas.The only other thing I can think of right off hand you will probably be packing anyway,and that is one of those cheap ponchos that that can be had in the sporting goods dept of the big box stores.They come in their own plastic pouch about 8"x8"x1/2".You will have a tent but for someone who doesn't carry a tent the poncho can also be fashioned into a lean-to type shelter.Staying dry while hiking goes a long way toward staving off hypothermia.

Will
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

A bunch of good suggestions from some very woods-wise guys. My 2 cents? Take 2 candles. Will is right on the money re. fire starting and small shavings of the 2nd candle can really help get small wet tinder going. And carry the fire kit with you, don't leave it at camp. If you get wet or hurt away from camp you can still keep warm and make a smoke to draw attention. As to a multi-tool; how many times are you likely to need a screwdriver, scissors, a bottle opener, corkscrew etc. on your jaunt? I'd rather have a solid midsized folding survival knife with a combination serrated base/straightedge blade on a lanyard. I'd also want to take a good LED headlamp with new batteries. The two items I wouldn't consider going solo without are a solid handgun with chest holster and a small EPRB. The handgun for the biped predators and peace of mind and the EPRB so help can find me quickly if it comes down to it.

(Oh, yeah: and a magnesium firestarter stick and a "string saw" for cutting firewood.)
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Will, check th survival kit link to my post here. There is detail in what I have there. All that stuff will stay in the Altoids style tin unless I really mess up. Everything that has been detailed in that thread is in there. Magnesium and flint fire stick, tender, snare wire, iodine and water better tasting pills, signal mirror, fresnal lense, wire saw, all that cool survival kit stuff, candle, hurricane matches, got it, check.

I already have a blade, a simple blade. A multi-tool might be a good thing as it is good for gripping, cutting, prying. Not so many screws loose (me) but the other things it does work.

I have a survival book that I got from the author. It's an excellent book. I contacted him to see if he wanted to do something here. I do that all the time, write a letter, ask them to contribute so others know. The book details how to make a kit for your application. Car kit, house kit, briefcase kit, hiking kit.

I am very stoked you guys are ringing in, it makes me secure in that I'm doing this stuff right, thinking it out.

Steve addressed my biggest concern, me. I'm going to work against myself being insecure, both he and Chris addressed this.

Although I don't think there are any Rambo types I'm going to run into out there, it's still a thought and probably my biggest danger besides myself breaking an ankle a few miles from a dirt road...

This type of fishing has the same recipe as hang gliding. It's about commitment and being able to to self rescue or following a plan and seeing it through.

Anything you guys have to help is appreciated, what you have written so far, I'm there, except the drum and that is really excellent advice.

...and it sounds fun.
adam wrote:Image

List of things I need, I have everything else to include.

Silver Tin $1.85
5/8 Dram vial $1.35
Mini-Match magnesium fire starter $4.95
Waterproof-windproof matches $3.50
5 Tinder-Quik fire tabs $1.99
Potable Aqua water purification tablets $8.00
Commando Wire Saw $6.99
Fresnel magnifier $1.50
10 feet of 24-gauge snare wire $3.25
20mm AA liquid-filled button compass $6.50

I'm putting together my own survival kit based on the one above. I purchased directly from bepreparedtosurvive.com and even got a book on survival written by the author of the Field & Stream aritcle, I think he said he would sign the book, I enjoy that sort of thing.

I used to fly cross country in my hang glider with a survival kit similar to this one and I used it on the rare occaision landing out in the boonies away from my retrieve. I hike the blue line enough that I would hate to know I could use this stuff and not have it. When I was a combat medic, I went through survival courses, my favorite was in the jungle for 3 days although we did all kinds of climates.

In my experience, this kit is excellent for fly fishers who hike.

Soon as it's built, I'll detail it and maybe get the author of the book to comment.

For those of you (members) here, some of the items I purchased, I'll have extra if you want so you don't have to spend extra. Just contact me and I'll send you a piece or part or what ever.

Take the TEST.

I scored 40.

:oops:

http://www.avertdisasters.org/html/72_hour2.html
HexaMaineiac

Lighter than a .44

Post by HexaMaineiac »

is some pepper spray, but it must be used from an upwind position.
I've done solo canoe trips as well as backpacking trips, I never felt lonely or at risk.
What rod are you taking?
Have fun, Henry.
Live to fish, fish to be alive
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Re: Lighter than a .44

Post by adam »

HexaMaineiac wrote:is some pepper spray, but it must be used from an upwind position.
I've done solo canoe trips as well as backpacking trips, I never felt lonely or at risk.
What rod are you taking?
Have fun, Henry.
Henry, I want to be more like you.

Comfortable at night deep in the woods. That's why I'm getting ready and doing it. I don't think anyone is addressing "loneliness" heck, I know I'm not. I want to be alone, it's being comfortable in something I don't understand.

I'm at risk only if I break a bone, bitten by a snake or something of that nature far from the car. The woods I'm writing about, there is no cell phone coverage. Long drive on dirt roads into the forest, streams crossing miles of land in a canyon or across tight old growth forest. I want to use what ever I carry on my back to do this as comfortable as possible. Not living off the land, living out of my pack, fishing, getting away and not being worried about a wolf, bear or a mountain lion picking a fight with me.

I think respecting the objective dangers is paramount to having a good time.

That being said, I'll carry a tenkara rod or two and a pack (fly) rod I got from a friend, fishing as I see fit, picking out a beautiful spot to camp and enjoy the stars, the quiet and a campfire if possible.

I can imagine myself sitting there, relaxing, thinking about what I did, where I came from, where I'm going to, writing in my journal and maybe pulling out a small drum or a kalimba, jew's harp and getting after it for a while, zip open the little tent, crawling into the fluffy down sack and zeroing my mind and waking up in the morning to some lucky charms or even scrambled eggs. Lay out the bag in the sun, fish a little, everything dry, pack it up and move on checking my progress with a GPS.

A small challenge but a challenge no less.

As I get older, I want to continue to make adventures and challenges in my life. I've car camped so much, I'm sick of it, I want to take it to a new level, unhook from the leash.
Bamboo Addict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Addict »

Adam.
The sound of and Elk bugling is something I never get tired of hearing (this time of year it is almost a daily thing here). I have found 99% of everything out there do not like the human smell and will leave you wide birth. I spend a lot of time by my self, like others here in the woods. In winter on snow shoes when critters are most hungry, they have all moved away. Bear spray is a good option. Like Steve has said, I always carry a gun, the drug cartel that are in the woods in are area in the summer does scare me. I don't need to add anything to what you need to carry keep it light and layer clothing. Sweating is your worst enemy in winter, stay away from cotton, wool can hold up to 30% of it weight in water and still keep you worm and it breaths. Someone else can tell you about the newer material out there that is light and breaths, I am old and will stay with what I know Moreno wool or Alpaca wool socks is all that I will wear. Also I have also gone to silk long johns under my wool long john in cold weather and wading and have never been so comfortable. I have spent a lot of time from 1 to 20 days out by my self and did just fine with freeze dried food to keep it light. Of course now a days I would rather have a good steak on the BBQ sitting by the fire next to the trailer and take day hikes.
David
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker »

Take a wad of bamboo shaving in a small zippy bag, its a neat way of recycling cane waste for tinder...
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Dave, you are the best, thank you for your insight. We do have a problem with marijuana growers, I'm sure they are a step away from the big guns or have big guns themselves. They just caught a crop not far away from a stream I fish over the years but isn't a stream I'll do any major hiking with although I will enjoy an overnighter at some point in the future.

In the White Mountains there is bear and now wolves along with mountain lions. I used to carry a bear bell, think I'll get back to that. The little tinkling is sort of decadent as I walk along.

But I'll tell you the truth, I live in a rough neighborhood. Grafitti, hispanic bario, it's a good neighborhood, nothing wrong with living there except you hear gunshots in the night, exchanges of gunshots and along with that goes Pit Bulls, German Shepards and the like. We have a little dog, Archie, he is about twenty feet tall, never backs down to any dog. We were charged by a big bushy German Shepard a few months ago on a walk that Melissa, Archie and I were on. The dog grabbed Archie in his jaws and I raised my arms and growled at the dog and he let Archie go. I raised my arms again and yelled at the dog and he loped off.

The bear spray will serve double duty at home on our walks.

It's funny, you guys are right, people and their things are much more dangerous than the forest.

I'm looking for some peaceful solitude in the mountains, fishing far away from the car. I want old growth forest alone at night and I'm working my way there, picking out a good spot, staking my alien solo tent, unloading the stove and hitting the piezo to start the flame and cook up some Udon noodles. If I can find some rocks and dry wood, I'll pull out my little baggie of bamboo curls and flake off some magnesium shavings and spark it up, practicing fire making from raw elements.

This stuff is cool to me.

And then I get to go fishing again.

I'm looking to escape and I'm doing a little of it here with the help of my friends.
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

speaking of making fire from raw elements ,here is my primitive fire starter,flint and steal,steve
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Sounds to me like that german shepherd that grabbed Archie could have benefited from a touch with a cattle prod or even a stun gun.