my kit for ultra light backpack fishing

hike in fishing
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

my kit for ultra light backpack fishing

Post by adam »

This is my kit.

I have been gathering it for months...

Finally, I have all of it together and will begin the process of lightening up, organizing the packaging and the way it goes into the pack and such. I have worked on my tent, tricking out the guy system with triptease line, fasteners and groundhog stakes for the fly. The tent is tight and will withstand a good wind. The stove is petite but will turn on a pot of water in like 4 minutes flat. My kitchen is really light and the canister for the stove will fit easily along with the stove burner inside the tea pot.

Everything is really light, sturdy and ergonomic.

I think the only thing I may want is a down hoody as they are really light and even on summer nights above 9,000' the temps drop enough to excuse the couple of ounces and small space that a warm down sweater will double up with some R base or mid-layering.

Maybe a poncho for hiking in the rain, however, I have a nice Patagonia fishing jacket for that...

I did my homework with a +20 degree down bag from Campmor.

I am fortunate as I had a lot of stuff already and other things I found at re-sale shops like a new 3/4 Thermarest.

But I am set and will give it a overnighter soon to check the system, in the back yard.

Ha!

I would rather find out now what works and what does not as I commit to the wild.

Soon enough, I will weigh the total kit and see if I came in as I thought. As it stands now, it is very light and easy, much much more so than any other kit I have put togther, easily put, I can carry this all day, no problem, then quickly pitch the tent, puff the bag, make a little dinner and be out, no time flat.

Body
[x] Bimini Hat
[x] Sunglasses
[x] Buff Scarf
[x] Sun Gloves
[x] Wicking LS & Hoody + Long Underwear
[x] Ultralight Wind Jacket
[x] Pants, Schoeller Fabric
[x] Sox, wicking, 2 pair
[x] Lightweight Trail Shoes

Pack
[x] Mountain Laurel Design Exodus SUL Backpack
[x] Platypus 2 liter hydration and tube
[x] Aquamira Water Treatment Drops
[x] Titanium Pot
[x] Mug
[x] Spoon & Fork
[x] Stove
[x] Thermarest 3/4 pad
[x] 20+ degree Sleeping Bag
[x] Solo Tent
[x] Tyvek ground cloth
[x] Toothbrush Paste combo
[x] TP ~ Baby Wipes (just enough)
[x] Sunscreen
[x] Towel

Fishing
[ ] 3-piece 6'6" Fly Rod & Reel
[x] Tenkara Rod and Lines
[ ] Foam Fly Box
[x] Haemostat & Nipper

Other
[x] U-Dig it Trowel
[x] Knife
[x] Garmin 76Cx GPS
[x] Waterproof Matches
[x] Fox Whistle
[x] Petzl Headlamp
[x] Photon LED & clip
[x] Candle
[x] Sewing Kit
[x] Garbage Bag
[x] Pen
[x] Silnylon Bag (to hang provisions in a tree)
[x] 50' paracord for hanging + mini carabiner

1st Aid (list contents)

Survival Kit

Menu
Coffee
Tea
Powdered Milk
Cereal
Udon Noodle Soup
Boullon
Dehydrated (non-psychodelic) assorted mushrooms
Dehydrated Prepared Dinners
Salt, Pepper and Spices
Trail Mix
Pancake mix (dehydrated)

I am still looking into a small drum and will put together a little bag of sage and such for good mojo in the outdoors.

I also will bring a camera and accessories along with a Leki pole for difficult terrain. I don't do ski poles.

What do you carry?

Last edited by adam on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

A .45 semiauto Colt, but we've already covered that topic.

You might look for a drum with a light body and open bottom that you could use to store some of your dehydrated stuff like the 'shrooms in. If you wanted to get really funky cut the bottom off an old-school Folgers coffee can then put a lid on each end. That would give you lightweight dry storage plus, with one of the lids off, a low volume personal drum. And if you played around with one of the lids building up some areas with layers of that black "liquid insulation" stuff might result in an East Indian style multi-tone drum(?"Timbali"?).
Like I said "Funky Drum".
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

bring some shrooms, bub and I'm in.
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

need to add to that response...I have never done such a thing and kinda neglected the opportunity to do so. maybe because I'm really a little to old for that shit. I think so any way. but in the middle of nowhere? just me and the elements? I could do it. adam would bring his fucking ipod dock but that's ok too cuz the tunes wrock in other ways when yer tripping.

hah hah hah
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

guys, I like Udon noodles, they are like ramen. Noodles are dry, a big part of packing is re-constituting freeze dried foods with boiling water. Dehydrated mushrooms are for FLAVOR, not for tripping.

I get paranoid when I get high, I am the opposite of when I was young, I don't enjoy it.

I'm a father and my mushrooms are for flavor G~ddammit.

:D
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Hey,no explanation is necessary.It was obvious to me that Mikeys comments were a very thinly disguised fishing expedition with a dry fly.He got a rise and I believe he hooked you :lol: :wink:

Hell Adam,we are all getting old :x but give the guys here credit for taking everything with a grain of salt.I,as well as everyone else,has seen pics of you cooking up a nice meal on the hike that you,Mikey and Jeepster took.I think everyone (not just me) knew what the shrooms(no there is some 60s jargon) were for.

8)
Will
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

At one point, I invented the term, "higher than a kite" in my hang glider.

I'm just going to leave it at that.

Today has been nothing but fun, I called mikeytwoshoes and we talked about rod making and you know, it's all A-OK.

I am fooly capable of being completely laughed at here, not that this is happening or I think it is, but it would be an honor to make any of you kooks laugh about a joke on me.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

And oh, it's killing me but I will have eggs and bacon for breakfasst on the second day. Titanium teflon coated frying pan, bacon packed in a foam box with a few chips of dry ice, eggs in a zip outside that.

It's just something I do, like a table cloth, those little touches that are so far removed from where you were at.

I won't be bringing an iPod doc anymore, although it rocked that valley, it was so far out of place and it was not a good lasting effect.