INVENTING MONTANA by Ted Leeson

books on the shelf
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

INVENTING MONTANA by Ted Leeson

Post by SnooKen »

Ted Leeson is one fine writer. The Habit of Rivers was the first of his books read and made enough of an impression that since that time I keep an eye out for news of his pending releases. Jerusalem Creek, a very different type of book but equally impressive made its way into my library within weeks of release.

His newest title is Inventing Montana and as he has done in the past Mr. Leeson combines his thoughts about life, people, landscapes and geography, fishing, friends and family into a cohesive narrative that flows as naturally as a mountain stream. This is a book that lets you see places you have not yet been to, recognize yourself and friends in new ways and recognize parts of the author in yourself. Hell, I thought the Preface Ted wrote worth the price of admission and consider the entire rest of the book a gift from the author.
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

preaching to the choir brother. at least in this case.

I like it that leeson challenges the reader.
great fucking stuff. all three those books.

oh yeah I'm visiting brother shay manana
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

Tell that Bastard in Congress hello for moi.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Hey Mikey,
Tell Mikey hello for me as well.Tell that bastard to get his sorry self in shape so he can get back online on a regular basis.We all miss his irreverent ways.
Tell him we love him "in a rodmakers kinda way" LMAO.
Will
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

'Tell him we love him "in a rodmakers' kind of way"' !! :shock: !!

Now I'm not sure I want to be an apprentice to the Guild. :?

Shoes; wish I'd seen your post sooner 'cause I'd have added my thoughts to the bag you carried to Shay. Glad you're there to keep an eye on the old geezer.

(oh Crap! We're talking like this in The Library! The PUBLIC Library!! Somebody better notify a moderator quick to yank this thread before an innocent mind is corrupted!!!!..........wait a minute.......I'm a moderator!..........doble crappe! that means I need to do it. :cry: )
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

SnooKen wrote:'Tell him we love him "in a rodmakers' kind of way"' !! :shock: !!

Now I'm not sure I want to be an apprentice to the Guild. :?

No worries Ken :lol: That's an old joke between me and Mikey Shay.He used to sign off on the rodmakers list with those words and a couple of us picked up on it and would throw it back at him all the time so I knew the crusty ol' fooker would get a chuckle out of it. :wink:
Will
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Well, that's a relief. Now I need to rearrange my computer desk again. Yesterday I moved everything around so that my back was against the wall and I was facing the doorway. I do think I'll keep the pistol next to the keyboard for awhile though. :wink:
Bamboo Addict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Addict »

Ken, I got that book as soon as it came out, and loved it. (Of course like with all of Teds books I had to keep the dictionary close by) He can use some big words for this dumb old Guide. Ted is a friend of mine, and a English Professor at OSU. (That's Oregon not Ohio)
David
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Dave, I've come to the conclusion that a list of who you don't know and haven't fished with would be a good deal shorter than a list of "Whom Dave Does/Has". And everyone on the longer latter list is richer for it.

One of the neat things about flyfishing and even more so about splitcane flyrods is that they are small worlds. So is the field of flyfishing writers and cane rod makers. The result is that the famous "6 degrees of Separation" usually drops to just 1 or 2 degrees and often results in a direct connection between 2 people. I like that a lot!

Ted is one of many great writers I would love to meet. Also on that list are Peter Matthiessen, David James Duncan, Tom McGuane, Cormac McCarthy, Paul Schullery, George Black, Nick Lyons, John Gierach, John McPhee, Barbara Kingsolver and Annie Proulx, Steve Raymond and a bunch more.

Oregon is overloaded with talented people. I've decided it has something to do with the trees. :wink: