Tenkara

fixed line fly fishing
pcg

Post by pcg »

As an aside, since I don't see it mentioned here, Daniel at Tenkara is now selling the pink, unbraided lines that he & Chris have been toying with.

The gear slowly becomes available. Exciting.
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

Got this link from Back Packing light : http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... vlEGoPiC_Q
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

I'm actually thinking about this now. My mind is opening. I especially like the fact that I will have a bare minimum of gear with me when I'm hiking.
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart »

I really like the pink line. The heavier line (15#) is much easier to cast and does better if there is any breeze but the lighter (10#) is a lot more delicate in presentation. Also, a bushier fly or one that's even lightly weighted will cast better with the 15# line.

I haven't gotten my hands on one of the Hane rods but I'm really of two minds about them. I think they really are targetted for backpackers. The key feature to the Hane is that it collapses to 16" rather than 20 1/2". Compared to the closest model at Tenkara USA, the 11' Iwana, the Hane is a bit stiffer and noticeably shorter. At 9' 10", it will feel long compared to your fly rod, but will feel very short if you are familiar with other tenkara rods. Much better for really tight, brushy creeks, but if the stream is even a bit more open, there will be times you'll wish it were longer.

It probably will never be a problem for you, since breakage really isn't a major issue (unless of course it's YOUR rod) but they do not carry the same warranty either.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I like my 11' Ebisu, can't say I would want to go shorter. If I did, I would be in the realm of a fly rod and in that, I would not need a Tenkara rod.

The length of a Tenkara rod makes it so, to shorten one only takes away what is already missing.
3creeks wrote:I'm actually thinking about this now. My mind is opening. I especially like the fact that I will have a bare minimum of gear with me when I'm hiking.
Ahaaa ha ha.

It is fly fishing although somewhat limited.

The limitation is the challenge and also it lends a zen like quality to the experience.

I could not use Tenkara all the time although I could not see never ever again using a Tenkara pole. It is perfect for backpacking.
pcg

Post by pcg »

Chris, I agree. The 15# pink line is easier. I'vve only had a chance to cast it two days--too damn cold here now. But when I was able a couple weeks ago, there was a light breeze & it cast wonderfully.
Tom Smithwick

DF Spider flys

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Back on this topic, after being so rudely interrupted by 3 months of freezing temperatures and 6 feet of snow. I tied up a couple #14 black spiders, hoping to imitate the early stonefly that buzzes along the water surface about this time. I was using a furled line and 6X tippet on Big Spring. I was a little early, and no naturals were in evidence, but I have to say I was impressed with the way you can make these flys dance with a tenkara outfit. It looked more like a natural struggling on the surface than anything I have ever seen before, particularly when the fly was at mid range with the line at about a 45° angle. The wind was variable. No problem casting in light wind, but it was tricky in heavier conditions, especially if casting into it. A heavier tippet might have helped. I tried a couple other flys, too, with no luck, then switched to a red copper john type fly and scored a couple small rainbows, and missed a few others. A good first outing. Both the stoneflys and the olives should be on next week.