John Channer's Memorial

under the big tent
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

John Channer's Memorial

Post by Troutgetter »

Hi guys...

There has been no mention of this on this board so I thought I would bring it up while there is still time to make plans...

Those of you on the list likely read the letter Harry Boyd posted about the time and place of John's memorial.

If you haven't the letter is posted as follows:

Hi Folks,

Talked at length this morning with Mary Sue Channer. She would
like to have a memorial for John on Sunday afternoon July 18th after
CRR. She wants to go to a special spot behind Purgatory Ski Resort. I
suggested we meet in Durango at the Fairgrounds on N. Main at 2pm on
Sunday afternoon. From there we will caravan to the specific place,
near a waterfall and across the road from some campground. All are
welcome, and I hope y'all will help me get the word out about the
memorial. I'll have a few words to say and others are welcome to share
anything they would like (appropriate for the occasion, of course.)

Thanks, and if you have suggestions, questions, or comments, please
let me know.

Best,
Harry Boyd

This morning I checked my mail and a ghostly name was listed. A letter from John.
It turns out it wasn't really from John but from his wife, Mary Sue.
She simply had sent a letter to the list reinforcing Harry's letter. It's an odd feeling to see a letter arrive at your door from beyond the grave.

John, Harry and I started making bamboo about the same time. John and Harry have prospered.
A big part of that prosperity have to do with their generosity and willingness to always help. Indeed what goes around comes around.

I have always felt like John and I were kindred. We corresponded for ten years before we finally met face to face for a weekend at CRR. I have stories...I'm not posting them here, but, John turned out to be exactly the person I had been "talking" to for so long.

Several times I had tried to coax John out of his home and into my truck to make the last leg to CRR. He never did that. There was always a reason and it always involved family or Mary Sue. John was devoted to her. After as many divorces, and non-divorces, dissapointments as I've had it seemed strange to hear another decline a free weekend with other rodmakers, to be sure his wife was going to be OK for the weekend. Ya know?
When I did finally meet John, he turned out to be just as crusty as all the letters and other correspondense I've had with him.
Much the same as Harry...no I mean much the same as Harry, Harry turned out to be exactly the same giving human face to face as John was a crusty old bastard.
PLease...don't take exception to me calling John a bastard...he knew he was just like I know I am. We reveled in calling each other this and when I grew up, in my family hearing that a neighbor was a bastard meant something good.

John helped me and I'd like to think I helped him. John always had a way to make a problem go away.
You learn how to do this when you have problems. JOhn always shared what worked for him. John was always ready to help me and countless others.
John also passed away helping a neighbor. I wasn't in the least surprised he would pass that way.
The world is smaller, less than what it was because of John's passing.
I miss that bastard.
I really don't know if I'm going to be able to make the last (and only) day on the water with John. I know I can't make CRR, but this is just a little different for me. I don't know if I will make it physically to his memorial, but I will always remember John, his devotion to his wife and family, his devotion to the craft of rodmaking and his love of simply helping another soul figure something out.
I fact John helped just today.
I had left my tape measure in another car which isn't here.
Harry had helped Mary Sue clean out John's shop and very thoughtfully asked if there was anything of John's I would like from his bench.
I received a 12 foot tape measure and a home made ferrule puller. The puller has marks and indentations on it that show how often it was used.
The tape measure helped me this morning lay out the guides on my next rod. Good damn JuJu!
I'll be at John's memorial I I can scrape up the money for fuel.
I know John has helped MANY of you...try and make it for the last good bye.

The letter from Mary Sue;

I hope you all are giving this some thought as I know John would love
to treat you all to some fishing in his neck of the woods........

My best to you all,
John's friend,
Mike
roycestearns

Post by roycestearns »

Mike, thanks for sharing your thoughts, I never met John, but now I know the world is short one good guy.
Royce

"I invented the cordless extension cord. " stephen wright
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Mike; Thanks for another wonderful tribute to John. He had a positive impact on a lot of people due to his generous sharing nature and left a legacy we should all try to emulate.

Ken
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.