Muscals a la diabla, perhaps the bestest bait you could eat

recipes and ideas
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Muscals a la diabla, perhaps the bestest bait you could eat

Post by Troutgetter »

How weird that no one has posted anything here since feb. Don't ya guyes eat?

OK, fine...
Here's a cheap campfire dish...Mussels and linguine.

Two pounds of mussels (or one pound per person roughly) I buy em prepacked and frozen but I'm amazed I can even get them at the little market in the shithole.
Stock pot into which you throw:
enough water cover the shells
garlic (lots)
chili powder
cayenne as much as you'd like
one can of cheap beer per two pounds of shells...or one quart of beer and top off with water to cover p/2lbs if you like a heartier "broth."

Bring the mess to a boil.
While this is coming to a boil, start another pot for the linguine.
When the mussel pot is roiling, dump the mussels into the pot and return to a boil, cover to steam, wait about 6 or 7 minutes after it's boiling again and it's done. Hopefully you timed your linguine to be done about the same time. All the happy little mussels will have opened wide and will be waiting to great you! If any of them didn't open, they obviously don't like you and you shouldn't eat those.

Linguine piled high, surrounded by happy little shells of yummy cayenne goodness. Ladel "broth" over everything and top with parmesian. Eat till you burst.
Hint: Throw empty shells happily over your shoulder as you go, do not stop eating until it all gone. Best with cold beer...I've found...

Should work with a white wine of somesort I reckon too but what do I know? I mean either to sip with dinner or in replacement of the beer in the pot, don't know how much though...ya know?

Merry Christmas!