bamboo rod making equipment

outright, trade or barter
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

bamboo rod making equipment

Post by adam »

Form, measuring, books, planes, binder, oven, everything if you want everything.

Serious inquiries only.

The more you purchase, the better the price will be on this steal already.

hangwind(at)cox.net
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker »

No way dude.. How come?
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Life changes.

I am without a home of my own.

Rod making is a shop thing, I don't have a shop.

The next three years, we will be in flux. Our home now is beautiful, gorgeous and in one of the best neighborhoods in Phoenix. The rent is less than we were paying for a house in the barrio, imagine that.

I will be taking away a few rods that I made and the knowledge of how to do it. If and when I return to it, my rod making will not be anything like it was, I will be much more compact and simple.

Also, tenkara absolutely suits me. I have caught more fish and had more fun the last two years than I have in the last twenty. Small streams that is, tenkara stays there. Conventional angling for the ocean or a little fly fishing there and for rivers, a nice bamboo fly rod is going to do it.

I have very little wants on stream with a tenkara rod, I catch nearly any fish I want. I could not say that before.

Thank you for asking, I mean that.
timaaron

Post by timaaron »

Adam - Sorry to hear that you are retiring your equipment for now - but glad to hear things seem pretty good for you in your new house. Hopefully you'll still check in to grassart occasionally. Thanks again for starting up this forum - its about the only place on the web I look forward to reading every day.

Tim
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Of course I will check in and things are good.

I need to be high speed and low drag for a while...

Ken now owns the place, it is in good hands.

Thanks for the well wishes.
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker »

Cool Adam... Sounds like you & familly are settled in a nice pad....

I bet you return to making rods someday, Like you say, you will always carry the knowlege to knock yerself up a fly rod... Thats what i like best about splitting cane, the ability to make from scratch when you need to..

I sometimes wish i had a rod shop, but i cant even afford a house... I rent too , so my rodmaking equipment too must be minimal and every bit done by hand.. You could pack it all up in under half hour and be gone... I like things this way.. I am now making rods from the spare bedroom and i am working on my second bamboo ferruled wand, first was a leonard Catskill, second is an F.E Thomas... I look at my rods and think why i want a shop when i can do all i need to in a 2m x 5m room, heat treat with my oven outside , sand my corks on a hand drill and get the finsih i want by pouring the varnish , i get the very aesthetics i was aiming for and think how lucky i am to be able to do it with a minimalists approach...
I have an inset wardrobe... I threw out most my clothes and all the other shit that had accululated in that closet and made room for my oven when not in use, the shelves keep my varnish and thinners cans out from dusts way.... I clean up after every move and the rod making space stays clean and dust free & is not a hazard or hinderance to other household users like my wife and crazy mutt, who insists he stands on the bench and bark in my ear when i plane strips .......
.. I can file nodes , sand and plane all i want , clean the place up , let the dust settle , the next day i open the window, lightly spritz the place down with water and varnish my sticks..... I like things this way, i am free for change if it happens cos like you say , it does happen....

Although i know youll be poppin your head in here and there and your not going to mars i just wanna say Like Tim says, Thanks for creating this place, i am glad to be a part of it, there are a bunch of nice genuine folk here who i am lucky to chat with over this board & have been very helpfull, many fo those who are very accomplished rod makers who are very accepting of a novice maker as I....
I dont get to chat to any rodmakers over here, never met another cane rod maker for that matter and i am probably the only practicing split cane rod maker in South wales or the whole of Wales as far as i know, yet i can come here on the daily and catch a glimpse of other rod makers worlds, even if they are accross the big pond, That only happened because you Adam split some cane, thanks

Good luck mate & have fun on your adventures..

Matt