Hey! Top Ramen

recipes and ideas
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

adam wrote:Chicken, it is really inexpensive.
What world are you livin' in?
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Mikey,
You could get your chickens the same way Snuffy Smith does.

Just sayin' :lol:
Will
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick »

I hear rattlesnake tastes a lot like chicken. I even have a couple recipes...

Adam is on the right track, rice is very nutritious, and so are beans. If I lived in the desert, I would equip myself with big sacks of both and use them as a diet staple. There are lots of ways to prepare both.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Troutgetter wrote:
adam wrote:Chicken, it is really inexpensive.
What world are you livin' in?
You will want to keep the sacks in plastic bins to keep the grain or beans free from contaminates. It does not take much. I think I will look into it for myself and my family. Cheap insurance...
Flywalker

Post by Flywalker »

One cost saving tip which you may already do regarding the green onions... If you use the leaves cut up in a recipe, stick the remaining bulb and stem in a bucket of dirt. As long as you leave an inch or so of stem, the bulb will grow new leaves in 3 or 4 days.
I have a few pots of them around the house. Nice not to have to run to the store if I want green onions.
PMcRoberts
Dunsmuir Shingle Shaker

Fried Rice Burritos!!!

Post by PMcRoberts »

We used to do this all the time at the fire house!!!

White rice
Red Bell pepper
Green Onion
Bacon
Mushrooms (Optional)
egg (Optional)
Soy sauce
tortillas

Steam the rice. Meanwhile cut up a few slices of bacon into pieces and cook in a large fry pan. Remove bacon from pan, add rice, and stir fry while drizzling soy over the top. Add bacon, chopped green onion, diced bell pepper, and mushrooms (If using). If using an egg, push all of fried rice to one side of the pan, and slowly dribble the egg to create tiny scrambled egg pieces, then mix all the stuff together, warm some tortillas, and add the stir fried rice!

We used to make a big batch that would feed 3 of us for days!! Whats nice is if you buy the above ingredients, you can make a bunch of these meals. Just divide everything into 3's or more, and save more by getting packets of soy sauce from a chinee fast food place!! :shock: Not as cheap as Ramen packets, but if done right, I bet you could eat this for days and it would be under $10.00?? It's good for breakfast lunch and dinner!!

Paul
Keep smiling........it makes people wonder what you're up to!!!