The Dave Roberts Chronicles...

makers, fishers and characters
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

The Dave Roberts Chronicles...

Post by Troutgetter »

Dave Roberts' (center seat) typical day at work on the Rogue River. Don't let those arms wrap around you in a friendly hug hello. You'll have broken bones. Just shake his hand.

I've known Dave for years. Not a lot of years, but more than a few. He is one of the few folks I count as family and a brother. It happened fast. So I was honored when Adam asked me to do an interview with Dave and try and let people know what kind of man he is. Even though I feel I know Dave pretty well, I quickly found out that the questions I would have normally asked after sharing a bottle of single malt with him, were not the questions I should ask here.
So I didn't. Instead...I asked these...

(ed.)
You row a drift boat down the Rogue River most everyday whether you have a client or not. You tie flies professionally and appear at tying shows across the West whether you need to or not. Why?

(Dave)
Mike, the short answer is I want to, but I know that is not what you want so without getting to mushy...
I do it because I love it and can't get enough of it. For 50+ years I have been a fly fisherman, and there is something to learn out there everyday. Someday's its all about catching fish, other days its the Bald Eagle that fly's over, or the Mink that is playing on the bank, or just sitting on the water. As for the fly tying show's its a way to give back to all of those past that showed me (and still are) and bring someone else along in the sport/hobby.
As for guiding and tying as a pro, for years it was a way to buy more toys so I didn't have to take out of the family's general fund. Now I guide full time (or as much as I want to so it doesn't become a real job) I still love it probably because I am not working 7 days a week now. My shops that I tye for are few so I don't have the mass orders I use to have. But my custom orders are doing much better and are much more fun.

The Rogue in the early morning

(ed.)
How did you come to live in Oregon? How long have you been here (there)?

(Dave)
After the service, and college, I got married to my wife, Linda, now 35+ years. After having 2 daughters, we really didn't want to raise them in the greater LA area, so we started looking. I had a high school buddy that had moved to this area, so we came up to visit. I went and talked to the local Yellow side of the John Deere heavy equipment shop. At the time I was a heavy duty field mechanic. They offered me a job on the spot, and I took it. It was the right time. We got back to home to Covina, Ca. Put the house on the market and I gave my notice. The house sold in less than 5 days and we where on our way, and never looked back. When I would get off work or before, I was on the river. We lived here 3 years before I ever saw Crater lake or the Oregon coast. Linda had, both several times, but I wasn't leaving the water for anything, I was going to learn my new waters. That was just over 30 years ago and I am still trying to learn the damn thing. Plus I can give a long list on waters that are within an 1 1/2 hrs. from here (I can list those if you want Mikey?) Now don't say what you normally do.[ed note: the normal reply is "fuck you"] OK that is enough for now, got to get a couple more fly's tyed and get the boat on the water R&D of course work never ends.

R&D on the Rogue. Someone has to do it!

(ed.)
From things you've shared with us in the past, you were fishing long before coming to Oregon.
Was there someone who mentored you on this river? Rowing and fishing and tying?

(Dave)
Mike, I will try and not make this too long. As for how long I have been fly fishing and tying and who got me started, its easy. My Grandfather was an Irish national fly casting champion and tyer. When I was 5 he started me tying in the old European Fly Dressers school, and some how I stayed with it. I don't believe you could teach that way today. In short the way it works, think of every type of wing in fly's from dry's, wet's, atlantic salmon, etc. now each one you tye that on a hook, and cut it off until you have that stage perfected. Then you go on to tails, body's, rib's, hackle, etc. I think I probably tyed on the same hook for a few years. Casting was done the same way, By the time I was 12 I was tying for Ned Gray's Sierra Tackle, in Montrose, (CA) and Russ Peak in Pasadena. Both in southern California. In the early 60's, he and I would head to Montana, right after school was out, and tye fly's for the local shops and my stream and river education really got going. As for mentors in tying there are so many, I have learned ( and still learning ) from some of the finest tyers in the world. That is one of the main reasons I go to so many show's a year, that I am invited to tye at. I get my session done then get to sit and watch others do their thing. I think I have learned just as much or more from beginners as much as I have from some of the so called experts. If you will let me give one piece of advice to everybody no matter how long they have been doing this sport/hobby, Keep your ego in a lock box, and your mind open, and have fun.
Now for rowing, less than a week after moving to Or. I was fishing a little wade-in stretch I had lucked into finding. (Still one of my favorites). There was an elderly man already in the run, and at that time (I still try and do it) you didn't step in until the other fisher was done with the run or invited you in. This is the old cast and swing take 3 steps and do it again. The man was a master caster with a fine bamboo rod, and although I could do the double haul, up to this time I had pretty much only done trout fishing. He stopped and saw that I had a bamboo rod also and we started talking and he invited me to take the top of the run. When we stopped to have a sandwich and a cup of coffee, he asked if I would like to float the river the next day? I thought I had died and gone to heaven, the next thing out of his mouth was can you row? I told him I had never even been in a drift boat. He asked if I was willing to learn because he wanted to fish too. That was my start, for the next 4 years Charlie and I were on the river at every chance. He would get me in trouble and make me figure out how to get out. ( Every Mentor I have had makes me do it the hard way), but I think I have learned OK. Like I have heard Mike Shay say many times, and that is why I do show's. I was shown by what I feel where some of the best, and for the most part just because they wanted to pass it on. Now it is my turn. At just shy of 60, I will still guide, and do custom tying, but I want to, as I can afford to, go to gatherings and clubs, I want to keep it going.

From the desk of David Roberts

(ed.)
You mean you tied on the VERY same hook for years until your grand-dad said OK? WOW!
You've been in Oregon, fishing, floating and tying for a long time. You were here when the last of the Golden Age bamboo fellows where alive. Not just bamboo guys, but tiers? Did you know some of them? Share a drink or more?

(Dave)
Mike, I have sat and listened to my grandfather and Ernest Schwiebert, Dan Bailey, Joe Brooks, talk fly's and tying. Back then I could keep my mouth shut, now, well... They are the one's I remember most, and showed me so much. Although I worked out of LA county, as I said before I was a field mechanic, we had sold a bunch a equipment to an outfit that was building a refinery in the bay area and it was my job to go up once a month and do warranty work. In the evening I would hang around Andy Puyans shop and got to sit ( and have a drink or two with him) for almost 3 years. On the same kind of deal I was up in Visalia and got to do the same thing with Buzz Busick until his death. After moving up here I got to meet and eventually started tying for Polly Rosborough. Now don't ask me for story's about him. Most are unprintable. We will save those for camp fire drinking story's. I have learned from so many you can't go that many. A good friend, and one of the most innovative tyers I know is Bob Quigly, and a lot of fun to be around. I might have known who the great old builders where may have even ran into a few, but my grandfather was an old Irish railroad gandy dancer and the rods we fished then where Monty's or second hand Heddon's. They caught fish. As for rod builders now, they are better than the old dead guys IMHO, and all I will say about any of them are a Para 15 goes everywhere with me.

On the Wood River, Oregon

(ed.)
Dave, I was going to ask for a Polly story, But I'll wait until we share the next campfire.
One of the things I regret was not meeting or visiting Buzz when I lived in Visalia and Three Rivers.
Since you've rubbed elbows with folks who are considered icons in the sport, but having known you for a while, you seem to like to fish with us poor slobs.
I had at least 5 other questions I was going to ask you, but in typical "guide" fashion, you anticipated and answered them before I even asked you!
So...I'll ask you this one last question...
Now that you're "officially" retired, is there anything you'd rather be doing?

(Dave)
Fast answer, Hell No! But to give you a little more, I want to fish more spring creeks and small streams. As I asked on Grassart, I saw a book on AZ fly fishing at a used book store, but had already blown my wad on a bunch of other books. I want to see some different country where trout live. I plan to go to a lot more bamboo gatherings and tying shows. I am looking forward to hitting 60 because that day we will be hitting the Metolious (the Tues. before the show) and I will get to fish on one of the toughest and most beautiful rivers around. What a better way to start retirement (of a kind) I don't think I will ever give up guiding, but the folks of the fly fishing community are my family and with guiding shows fishing I am with my family and best friends.
Hope to see all of you soon!

Doing what he does best

A nice Rogue River Cutty!

More R&D

And...the result!

Dave is an Oregon Licensed Guide. His guided trips normally involve drifts down the upper Rogue River in southern Oregon. With a bit of persuasion and if you fish bamboo...he might take you to one or two "secret spots" not on the Rogue but in the backcountry for wild little (and not so little) fish.
Dave married WAY over his head to a wonderful woman, Linda, who I adore. Has two daughters (one of whom I've met and adore), grandchildren and a Lab (who I've not met, but can't wait to adore), named of course, 'Boo.

Dave can be reached via his website at:
David Roberts Guide Service and Fly Tying or just http://oregonflyguide.com/ where he's recently started his own blog and fly of the month club. Check it out!