The Bamboo Rod

books on the shelf
Dalis

The Bamboo Rod

Post by Dalis »

I found this book on the Swedish ebay recently.
The Bamboo Rod " And how to make it " by Claude M. Kreider
It was printed the first time 1951.

I think the book is really informative:) Is it a common book in the US ? Have all of you read it ?

// Mats
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I did a cursory search and found references to it and this small image.

How about reviewing it?

I understand that there is a lot of information in that book...
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

I have that book. I thought it was a pretty common one to have in your library. Given that i haven't made a rod yet i can't comment on whether it's good or bad. I can't be the only other person on here who has this book????
Dalis

Post by Dalis »

I think the book is easy to reed, even for me who is not born englishspoken :) It´s mostly text in it, and not that much pictures.
The auther have got a great deal of input from, Nathaniel Uslan, Lew Stoner and Robert Crompton, when he was writing the book.

I had to pay $4 for it, and i can tell you, it´s worth it ;)

// Mats
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

It's available on Amazon for anywhere between 16 and 50 bucks. Prolly not worth $50 tho.
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

4 dollars...worth it!
16 bucks...well...OK.

I have it, I paid about 16 bucks for it 12 or so years ago. I was buying every bamboo book I could get my hands on.
It's good, a lot of info. I haven't looked at it since I first read it.
As I recall (possibly incorrectly) Krieder was a Long Beach CA boy who was into pentas?
Possibly the only good thing that ever came out of Long Beach.

It's a how-to book but there are way better ones available. Considering the book was written back in the day ('40's?) and way before Garrison's book, it's really a quite remarkable book detailing various construction techniques and thoughts which were not unheard of, but certainly uncommon.