Cheap Chile Rellenos

recipes and ideas
clo
Mogollon Rim Angler

Cheap Chile Rellenos

Post by clo »

Ok heres a cheap quick fix for your Mexican food tastebuds.

Go buy poblano peppers they could be listed as ancho peppers too.Just sit them in your oven on a rack and turn it to 400,leave them there for about 20 minutes.They should look like they have leprosy with their skin all fallin of and such.
Take them out and wrap them in a wet cool cloth and let sit.After their cool peel the skin all off then split them up the side so you can get the seeds all out,make sure the skin is all off and the seeds all removed.

Take a large egg and whip it in a cup until mixed up,add like a 1/2 a tsp of water and whip again.
Shred some monterey jack cheese for the filling of the pepper,remember the more the better.

Start cooking the egg like you would an omelette and let it get somewhat done then take your pepper that you now have stuffed with cheese and put it in the middle of the egg.Wrap the egg up the sides of the pepper and the ends as well.

Make sure the egg is cooked and remove the relleno,put it on a oven safe dish and put it back in the oven or microwave to melt the rest of the cheese,then enjoy :)
greg hall

Quick Rellenos

Post by greg hall »

Chile Rellenos are one of my favorite Mexican dishes. I always order them as a test to rate a Mexican restraurant.

The thought occurred to me that I could use this for a road trip by adding some Tapatio sauce and wrapping one in a large flour tortilla.
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

clo...
Aren't poblanos rather small?

Did you mean Pasilla's?

If you are on the road or in camp...a fire works well too. I BBQ my Pasilla's, you can do the same over any open fire. They are bell pepper size chili shape but with a definite bite! Depends on the individual pepper?

I skip the egg.

I once went to inspect a mexican guys house. He had some pepper plant growing at the side of the house...little teeny red peppers pointing straight up at the sky. I asked him if the were for decoration or for eating.

He didn't speak english well and made the international symbol for eating. I made the international symbol for 'yum.'

He picked a pocket full for me and wrapped them in a paper towel.
I took them tried to express my thanks and stuck them in my shirt pocket.

He grabbed them out of my pocket and said, "NO! They burn your teet!"

OK!

I knew what he meant. Ever pee after chopping up a jalapeno? Without washing your hands first? REALLY well?

I brought them home and put them on the table for dinner.
My middle kid, Melissa, dared me to eat one. I said "I will if you will," she said "OK!" Bare in mind she was 10. I said "You first!" She fearlessly grabbed one and tossed it in her mouth and chewed it down.

Her head exploded. I miss her very much.

There was no sense in me doing the same thing.
Yes, I'm a dick.
clo
Mogollon Rim Angler

Post by clo »

Mike I'm sure any tasty pepper would do I just fancy the poblano,I try and get the biggest ones I can find.Oh ya remind me to never go first when your around :) I watched a kid do that at a party when I was younger,never saw anyone drink as much milk as he did at one time.
Bamboo Addict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Addict »

This is funny, just got the latest Cal Flyfisher Mag. and it had a whole thing on Chile Relleno's. I had no idea that Bishop had grown so much it has 5 mex. eatery's. I want to make a Eastern Sierra road trip some time this summer.
David