The Bamboo Ranch

where ideas grow
O clarki

Post by O clarki »

From what I understand, and has been explained to me, the amount of wind and exposure to the elements the bamboo has, is what develops strong power fibers, and gives the bamboo in China its unique characteristics. Even in the region Andy imports bamboo from, there are only specific areas on the same mountain, that have the correct amount of moisture, slope and receive enough wind, to be usable (or at least best) for cane.

I have been running ideas through my mind on how to raise rod-quality cane in the US, and keep working on ways to expose them to wind--not hard to do in Wyoming, keep them from freezing--a bit harder to figure, and get the moisture, soil and such things correct. Anyway, my guess is, if you harvest any bamboo you either grow, or find native to the U.S., you would need to re-work your numbers on tapers, to get the feel you are used to in your rods. I remember reading Marcelo, worked different tapers to get the best action out of his cane.

Adam: maybe you should install an industrial fan next to the bamboo and turn it on when you leave for work, and off when you get back :wink: I can't wait to see how it goes!
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

We have wind here, it may be from the four directions of the compass and rising, but we have wind. It's also rare that we get below freezing and Amabilis is hardy to 10 degrees.

Boyd was telling me that some bamboo is oily and will kill the binding process. He has a grove of Tonkin already mature and is going to harvest it at some point in time.

Out of it all, the thing is, Tonkin we purchase is already processed. It is a lot of work to get it ready for the planing process. Rubbing it down with sand to wax off, drying, it all takes work. For the money and the quality, you are getting a hell of a deal by purchasing.

Given that, I am a hobbyist, I get to do the hell what I want to do and not worry about what the populace wants. Really, that is sort of liberating. If I want to try curling up some strips, I'm going to. If I want to use giant timber, I will, or Madake or what ever species, taper, it's just not that big of a deal and I have little to lose by experimenting.

The formulae is out there, if I sell a rod, I'll follow it, if I want to try something for myself, I will.

If you have the time, get a hold of Harry Boyd and talk with him about it. He has tried making rods of different bamboo and has experience growing it and he is a maker, knows the biz.

Thanks for ringing in, I always appreciate the time you take in writing here.
O clarki

Post by O clarki »

Adam: Cool man. I wasn't trying to imply you can't mess around! :) I think that's the best part, myself. Thomas has a book he got from Glenn, entitled, "The Bamboos." It's a specie list and characteristic list of many--if not all, the bamboo species. I don't know if it is the same one I found in Glenn's book stash in the shop, but it seems to be the same idea. That might help give an idea of stiffness, oiliness, etc...

It would be kinda cool to have a collection of finished rods, made of different species of cane--maybe on the same taper. Might be a museum piece!

Good to hear you have plenty of wind. I love wind. Oh wait...no I don't :? It blows...

Well, gotta pack, so I can leave the Tetons and hit the Bighorns!
O clarki

Post by O clarki »

Oh, I just remembered! While driving through western Oregon on the ol' Pacific Coast Highway, I passed "The Bamboo Man" or Farm, or something. It was the middle of fall, and no one was there, even though it was the middle of the week and day. But, there was a number to call and they/he/she would meet you so you could look at the cane. You could see most of it, behind the fence. It was freakin' cool! All sorts of different varieties. I couldn't read the tags, so have no idea what was there, and I didn't get to look around too much. I'll have to find that town, and maybe more info. I'll be back likely this fall, so might bring a trailer and stock up on bamboo--don't know where I'll plant it--maybe the roof of my car :roll:
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

All good.

It would be cool if you took some images and posted them of runs or clumps you find, yuck, that sounds horrible but you know what I mean.

I agree with you, would be kinda cool to have a bunch of stiks from different species. I'll eventually start that collection for myself as soon as I find some usable culms within striking distance.

I'm hoping I can get at a minimum, some split sections mailed.

Anyway, let's re-visit when we get there.