American "Tenkara Net"

fixed line fly fishing
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

American "Tenkara Net"

Post by adam »

Tenkara style net (clik image)

The Japanese use a circular style net for Tenkara. The nets are very expensive. I like a petite net and I also enjoy owning and operating American made products.

Sam Lacina makes wonderful nets. I've invited him here and he will be aboard soon enough.

We are working together on a petite Tenkara style net made primarily of bamboo, bucket style of bag.
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Adam, why can't you just put a handle on the rear brim of your hat?
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
pcg

Post by pcg »

Adam, any progress on the net concept? I frankly favor the Japanese wire rim, versus the traditional US wood or bamboo. 'Seems that finding a good craftsman for a small run of these would be possible. I imagine we could sell a couple dozen (even pre-sell)...
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Wow,those are some fine looking nets indeed.I really liked the Dickerson style net.As big a fan that I am of Lyle Dickerson,I did not know that he made nets as well as the finest bamboo rods on the planet. He just took a 1/2 neck lead out of his 1st place tie with E.W. in my book.
Will
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

He has a putting the first coats on the net.

Sam sent a outline of the net on paper and I decided on it there. I wrote notes on the paper and sent it back. He is doing the insert in Mesquite and the handle in cross section arches of bamboo. The net hoop is bamboo and the net is quite petite in construction. 9" opening and it's for small fish that I will find when using my tenkara rods.

I am definitely not a traditionalist in tenkara, I use what works and my only tip towards tradition is the round shape and maybe the true bucket style of bag.

Sam said he has images of the construction, I'll post them when I receive them.

Sam is getting into tenkara as well.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

SnooKen wrote:Adam, why can't you just put a handle on the rear brim of your hat?
I didn't see this.

I assume you mean my rice picking hat?

*blushing*

I guess I could.

Ken, you are a mile a minute.
pcg

Post by pcg »

Ah it's 2010. Where's that Tenkara net?! :?
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

It is in my shop and it is BEAUTIFUL.

One of the prettiest nets I have ever seen.

Perfect for this style of fishing.
pcg

Post by pcg »

Pictures?! Come on! :)
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »