maker's rod notes (with progress images)

where ideas grow
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

maker's rod notes (with progress images)

Post by adam »

STEVE KILEY wrote: here is my guide spacing from tip and then from female ferrule on the butt
5 1/8 , 10 1/2 , 16 , 21 3/4 , 27 3/4 , 34 1/4 , 41 1/2
1/0 , 1/0 , 1/0 , 1/0 , #1 , #1 , #2

2 1/8 or just below ferrule what ever looks good , 11 , 19 7/8
#2 , #3 , stripper
had to measure off of my ledger board but it looks right.steve

Tip strips:
1. Channer Two strips (Received)
2. Rob (Pentalux) 2 strips (Received)
3. Chris Carlin 2 strips (Received)
4. Zac 2 tip strips (Received)
5. Shay 2 Strips
6. Mike (Aguafria) tip strip (Received)

Butt Strips:
7. Mike (Aguafria) (butt strip) (Received)
8. Wayne (Fishketcha) ...Nodeless butt strip (Received)
9. Mats (butt strip) (Received)
10. Steve Kiley (Butt strip) (Received)
11. Mark (Zenflyfisher) Butt strip (Received)

PLEASE...remember to plane your strips about (+/-) .010" OVERSIZE!
PLEASE...Finish off your enamel side prior to sending them to me.

-------------------------

13. Plane to final/glue/sand - Shay -send your strips to me boys, I'll finish out the strips and glue 'em up, sand and send them to #14. Greg send me the bag. I will provide an ABS tube and caps to send the mess on to the next guy, simply reuse it and so will everyone else. It will be reusable for all who follow. I will pm my addy to all who signed up to plane a strip shortly.

13.1. Arrange for and supply ferrules to #14. Steve (SAltsh) Send them to #14 (Received by Kiley...thanks both of you Steve's!))

14. Mount the ferrules- Kiley

15. Cork, glue and shape grip - Kiley If anyone decides to donate any of these parts, contact Kiley and send them to him. Send the blank to #19 to be wrapped.

16. Supply guides - Ken Send them to #19 (Will has received the guides)

17. Supply bag - Greg Hall Send it to #13 (Received)

18. Supply reel seat and or insert. Mats Oberg C&R please. Mats...Send the C&R to Kiley so he can do his thing to it. PM Steve for his address. Steve...send the finished reel seat onto #21 when you're finished. He'll being using that to finish the rod. AGAIN...I would recommend a simple C&R seat so the guy making the grip doesn't have to try and plan on inletting a cork ring for a seat he doesn't have. Just glue and slap the seat and hardware on at the end and be done with it! (Received) Reel seat in my possession(Shay) and I will forward it to Steve with the finished blank

19. Wrap and varnish wraps. Greendrake (Will) Send it to #21

20. Rod tube -Hex tube by Wayne (Fishketcha) Send it to #13

21. Varnish rod/ install reelseat. Send it to wherever it goes to. - Carlin!
PS...Chris...Your picture taking skills are top notch! Please take a few pics and post them so we can all have a bit of joy in all this!

Who and what have I left out?

I will mark down who I receive strips from and who still needs to cough them up. I'll also try and keep track of transit and who has the rod in their grimy hands at any given point in time.

I think it's a good idea to simply lock this particular thread.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can or simply post to the original thread OK?

You boys who are sending stuff to others than me, please let me know when you have sent them off and if the receiver would be so kind, let me know when you get them so I can mark it received and we won't be wondering who dropped the ball?

5/17 :And don't none of you fookers think I ain't got my eye on you just 'cause I ain't posting! :twisted:

<center>Image Image Image Image</center>
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I was up with Mike today.

I grabbed the shots he had of the construction so far. The rod is packed and will be sent to Kiley this week. I was unable to take a look because it was packed away.

Anyway, this is the progress so far.

Shay has some great things to say about the rod...
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Nice report.Thanks for the pics and the details.I think this is going to be something that we all can be proud to be a part of!

Even though at times it seems like it's taking an awful long time to come together,I found that it keeps things in perspective to stop and remember just how spread out all over the globe the participants are, and how much work is involved in building a bamboo rod.

When this rod leaves Chris and heads toward the lucky recipient we should all stop on a designated day at a designated time and raise a toast to our fellow Grassart members for a job well done.

I'm proud and honored to be a member of this group! Thank you guys.

Will
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

cant wait to get my hands,a question for will and chris,do you guys want me to put the first 2 coats of varnish on,i then sand them down with 400 ,or should i leave them naked,steve
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Steve,

On my own rods I always wrap first, first coat on wraps is Threadmaster, then I varnish the wraps til the threads are just about smooth and then dip.

HOWEVER,it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference whether I wrap on bare cane or sanded varnish.As long as the Threadmaster can be used on wraps that have varnish under them.My wraps took a big leap in quality when I started using the Threadmaster as opposed to just using varnish only.I have had no problems with shimmers or aything else for that matter(even though the purists over at the big board think it's wrong to use epoxy on the wraps).I will just roll with the flow. Maybe Chris will chime in if he has any preference.
Thanks,
Will
stevekiley

Post by stevekiley »

hi will.i use flex coat on my wraps (thined with DNA)about the same thing with no problem,lets see what chris has to say and if his varnish is compatable,steve
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Sounds good to me Steve!
Will
matsoberg
Maker: Mats Oberg

Post by matsoberg »

So good this thing has come to life again. What did we decide about the signing on the rod, Someone refresh my memory here, Wasn´t it something with a certificate with all the names/signatures on it to go with the rod? I know I sent my chicken scratches to Snewk.

// Mats
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
Carlin
Maker: Far North Rodsmiths

Post by Carlin »

As far as the finishing goes, if someone could, before the rod is wrapped, give it a wipe down with some steel wool and spar varnish (not poly) then wipe it smooth/dry with a paper towel. That'll go a long way to make my life easier come dipping.

On the wraps, just the FC will be adequate. I'll put the final coat(s) of spar on the wraps before finishing so that way we won't have any 'weirdness' with possible incompatibility, etc.

Also, if possible, please don't mount the reel seat. I'll do that at the very last.

Let me know if I need to ink anything or finish up any other details.
Chris

stevekiley

Post by stevekiley »

will do chris,i think i have some man o war around here,i also never glue on the reel seat untill the last thing,steve