Ultra-Light Stoves

hike in fishing
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Ultra-Light Stoves

Post by adam »

Universalight Stove

http://speedofultralight.com

I am zeroing in on a stove, here is a site that offers a couple of different options. I'm going to purchase the one above.
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

very cool,i saw a guy out here at our farmers market that was making almost the same stove out of the bottom of 2 pop or beer cans,it looked the same and burned DNA, steve
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

exactly

DNA
roycestearns

Post by roycestearns »

how do you fill these?
Royce

"I invented the cordless extension cord. " stephen wright
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

The system, beer can pot, filler bottle, stove and windscreen

The whole thing is superlight, unreal.

I'll combine that with everything else focused on light weight and I can see where my pack is going to weigh nothing.

You fill the stove up. There is a double wall construction for the outside rim holes. When the alcohol warms it vaporizes and jets out the holes. Using the above system, I was able to boil the water, nearly a full Heineken can in 5 minutes with a .5 oz of denatured alcohol. That is way more than enough for my soup. For bigger portions, I'll want to use at least one ounce to get enough flame time.

Performance indeed.

I'm going with it.
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker »

Hey i was going to suggest a trangia or something, but the beer can set up beats it hands down .
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Suggest away, I'll be posting a pack list and working on it. I have until spring. Ultralight is typically less cost than regular camping equipment.

I won't scrimp on sleep gear, 800 fill bag and I'm going for a full tent, I can't stand critters, a tent is my castle against all the nighttime monsters especially if I am alone.
fleaflicker

Post by fleaflicker »

Weve been using those little one and two man Vango tents, there are various catagories & various prices to match.. The one man'ers are superly dooperly small & light & realatively inexpensive compared to tob brand big name wheres yer money at brands & certainly get the job done A+ OK.

Sometimes we ditch the whole tent idea and dig a hole

This little banchee from Vango's ultra-light range may be my next solo or two man which is avilable from £72...

The trangia get up I suggest is a favourite among many

This

Into this

and of course your classic Hexi stove
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

adam wrote:Suggest away, I'll be posting a pack list and working on it. I have until spring. Ultralight is typically less cost than regular camping equipment.

I won't scrimp on sleep gear, 800 fill bag and I'm going for a full tent, I can't stand critters, a tent is my castle against all the nighttime monsters especially if I am alone.
In my brief investigation into this new hobby, Ultralight seems to be way more costly than the alternative. A $300 tent? Sleeping bags that are light and roll up to the size of a loaf of bread, yet keep you warm in freezing conditions cost over $300 minimum. Thermarest has a new self inflating sleeping pad that rolls up ultra small, and weights less than a half a pound. But it alone costs $120. Not saying it's not worth it, but I haven't found the cheap stuff yet. :shock:
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

The more I look into good equipment, the more I agree with you. I haven't looked into the cost of bags yet, bivy or a one man tent is a little spendy... A tarp shelter with Tyvek ground cloth isn't too bad but I need my castle.

But it does seem you are right.

I'll finish out my list and maybe even tally up.