Ultra-Light Stoves

hike in fishing
Mvbrooks

Stove

Post by Mvbrooks »

That look unbelievably cold! I winter camped in my youth and, once out of the snow cave, it was wet, cold, and miserable. As for a stove, I have an "emergency" one I bought in Sweden that I'll send you a photo of... really nice, burns anything from gasoline to alcohol, compact, and built like a brick.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I'm thinking you have a Svea?

No?

I have one and have used it for 30 years and it is bombproof. Weight is key in collecting my gear. Focusing on weight big time. Although the Svea is light, it is not as light as I want.

Svea camping stove and pot set, an original Model 123. Weight complete, 570 gr. (1 lb. 4-1/8 oz) "Take Along a Warm Friend" is the slogan printed on the box.
Mvbrooks

Stove

Post by Mvbrooks »

I found it. It's an Optimus 123 "Climber". Weight is 19.5 oz.; 3.75 X 5"; capacity 5.5 oz; burn time 50 minutes. The model number and weight match your Svea, so I gather it's the same stove. It's a great stove. I paid 699 Krona for mine... that's, let's see -- 9/5 - 32 * 6.23 X 10*28 --- around $77.... I took photo's but they didn't turn out for beans. (anyone wanna buy a nice Nikon D300 setup? It's waaayyy to complex for me!)
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Yup, the alcohol stove is like 2oz and will run for 15 minutes on 1oz of alcohol or Everclear or other fuels. It has caveats but I don't plan on using it when I'm drunk, only when I am hungry. I have a little bottle dispenser for the alcohol, it will pre measure so I can gauge how much burn time I will get.

The alcohol stove is odd, very light, only effective if you focus on the weight of your other items like your bag, pack and shelter.

I'm shooting for less than 20lbs with rods, water and food for two nights.

That would be a sleeping bag, pad, shelter, stove change of clothes, jacket, etc.

Not too bad.
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

adam wrote: I'm shooting for less than 20lbs with rods, water and food for two nights.

That would be a sleeping bag, pad, shelter, stove change of clothes, jacket, etc.

Not too bad.
well one gallon of water weighs 8lbs - which leaves you 12lbs for the rest of your gear. not sure a full change of clothes is necessary, but you would want two spare pair of socks and some chonies, something for warmth and staying dry...it can prolly be done.
3creeks

Post by 3creeks »

You can carry a 3 liter Camelbak bladder and a gravity fed filter like the Sawyer system to replenish your water when you run low. There should be no shortage of water since you're on a fishing trip. The Sawyer system has no moving parts, and it's very light when empty. Alternately, you can skip the second bag and use the Sawyer inline filter spliced directly to your Camelbak hose. That limits you a bit, but it streamlines your water situation. We've used it twice this summer and it works great.

http://www.rei.com/product/778041

http://www.rei.com/product/778043
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

aguafria wrote:
adam wrote: I'm shooting for less than 20lbs with rods, water and food for two nights.

Not too bad.
well one gallon of water weighs 8lbs - which leaves you 12lbs for the rest of your gear. not sure a full change of clothes is necessary, but you would want two spare pair of socks and some chonies, something for warmth and staying dry...it can prolly be done.
Prolly?

Do you have any advice Mike?

I list the items and weigh the pack, I'll take a picture of pack on the scale and I will calibrate the scale before I weigh the pack. After that, I'll write about my adventures once in the bag that I planned months before I actually "got 'er done" on the web site that I produced about the activity at hand.

Thanks for the filter system links, they will help in my decision. I'll carry around a liter of water and filter as needed and take dehydrated foods sans packaging. Your experiences match what I am studying. There are a lot of filters out there, I like the dirty bag to clean method.

There are a lot of resources out there for this type of movement in the woods, people very detailed and oriented towards weight.

I respect experience, that's what works for me.
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

adam wrote:
Prolly?

Do you have any advice Mike?
well yes. I suggested taking an extra pair of socks in case one pair gets wet which is likely if you'll be fording streams fish and such.

I've got one of those katahdin filter bottles for water which would I guess do in a pinch. you could prolly forego a pad and build up a mattress of sorts w/ forest litter. while the pad isn't "heavy" per se, it is bulky and awkward. and again, depending how much yer tarp weighs - there's gotta be a diy setup that is lighter, not necessarily a poncho over p-cord, but something similar.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

http://grassart.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1109

There is the list that I am working at.

2 pairs of sox, check.

I'm NOT going to forgo sleep gear including shelter. One thing that is absolutely necessary is that I get a good nights sleep. A ultra small bivy tent will give me a secure feeling, by myself, I'm going to be a little scared and sleeping, I want a pad. I've found another 3/4 pad that is much better than the first one (Savers).

You can critique me when my fat ass is dragging you down on the way in or out...

:D

I like the Sawyer in-line filter, I like the price and I'm going with that.

I've actually drank many times from streams I've fished. Never got sick, I was just careful of where I drank, no cattle, lots of rocks and bubbly water.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

that's a lotta stuff on that list.

I've gotta foam flybox. it's yours if you want it.