Taper for backpack bamboo

hike in fishing
greendrake

Taper for backpack bamboo

Post by greendrake »

Here is the taper for the South Bend 291. A 4 piece 7'6" rod that was developed by Wes Jordan during his tenure at SB. Rod is made up of 4 22 1/2" pieces and is a 5wt.These are actual nos. taken off of a stripped blank so it is not necessary to allow for varnish.

Tip ===========================1st mid
0 .082 =====================.156 just below female ferrule
5 .096======================.169
10 .118 ======================.186
15 .129 ======================.202
20 .146 =======================.206 just above male ferrule
21.5 .154 just above male ferrule

2nd mid=========================== butt
.209 just below female ferrule========.301 just below female ferrule
5 .226=======================.322
10 .244=======================.359
15 .268=======================.370 under grip & reelseat
18.5 .289 just above male ferrule==== 20 .370 " " "
========================== 22.5 .370 " " "

Not too bad of a rod for a 4pc. you could cut down rod weight by using
truncated ferrules.makes a nice bamboo pack rod but if you make it with 2 tips you're looking at 1 whole set of ferrules and 3 1/2 sets.you'd have about $150 worth of ferrules unless you make your own.
Last edited by greendrake on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Well when I typed up the taper I had the left nos. on one side of the post and the right hand set of nos. on theright side of the post.Submitted it and they were squished together.Hit the edit button and tried to make the space wider but they were still together so once again either 'putor stupidity got me or the make up of the web site doesn't allow for big gaps horizontally in a post.

So if it gets confusing when you look at the nos. just ask questions and I'll try to answer them.Welp it's back to bed as I'm getting sleepy enough to go back to sleep. Getting tired of this shit of waking up after about 2 hrs sleep every night.Most of the time when I wake up, I am wide awake. Not even groggy.So I get up and either play solitaire on the putor or get on the net until I get sleepy enough to go back to sleep.I'd sure just like to go to bed and sleep straight thru for 6 1/2 - 7 hrs. like I did when I was still working.It's hell getting old. :x
Will

DISREGARD the above. I came up with a simple enough solution and it worked 8)
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

thanks for this will.
I've been considering a pack rod - though the weight of all those ferrules and possible stiffness give me pause. I've alaso been considering picking up a four piece fiberglass blank from steffen bros for a pack rod. hell, it's only a few bucks more than the ferrule sets for the bamboo one.

still something to think about...
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Mike,
It's rods like that that make me think I should learn to make a rod with bamboo ferrules.Better yet there is a guy that posts on Clarks who showed rods he has been developing with a graphite spigot that is glued in one section and the next session has a female receptacle for the graphite spigot and the two sections are dead nuts flush with each other.Very nice looking and according to him it has the action of a 1 piece.

As far as fiberglass rods go,I bought a 7' 4pc. 5wt Fenwick way back in the very early 70's right after they went from the olive/gold blanks to the dark brown blanks.It is a sweet rod that I still use from time to time.
Will

If you haven't seen the rod I'm talking about ,you can check it out at the link I'm going to list.Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page until you come to a post that is titled:Something a little different by Nick H. A 4 piece rod made like this would be time consuming no doubt,but eliminating the cost of ferrules would be worth it PLUS you don't have that pronounced bulge in the rod like the bamboo ferrules cause.
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.co ... ml?page=18
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I've actually cast that rod and did not like it.

It's cool that you posted the numbers though, maybe someone else likes the rod or wants to make it, sort of like that web site.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

It's not a great rod but for a 4pc pack rod it's not too bad.I believe the Dickerson 661510 could do in a pinch as the sections are only a little over 26". Any rod tube that could be kept close to 2' in length would probably be OK for backpacking.That would make any 6'-6 1/2' 3pc rod a good candidate. Of course fiberglass or graphite just might fill the bill a bit better for backpacking.It all depends on how bad you want to fish bamboo. :)
Will
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

when i used to do alot of back packing in colorado and the UP of michigan if the rod tube was about 30" or under i did not have a problem,lashed to the side of the pack.that put the upper length at a 7' 3/2.just my 2 cents,steve
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Yep,you got it Steve.It's all in what people feel comfortable packing along.
Will
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

My Tenkara rod is 24" collapsed and is really unobtrusive to the pack. That little 661511 is what, 2" longer? I'll even bring along the tube, I can use it as a bong (just kidding, don't even go there). It will be a part of my pack. There are streams here that are perfect for following to the source. Those times on stream are not utilitarian for me, if I am there, that far back, the last thing I want is a plastic rod in my hand to share a little time with. I wouldn't kick it out of bed but I wouldn't be inviting it there in the first place, I don't need it that bad, would rather walk away...

But I fault no one for packing a rod in, no matter what sort, even a Mickey Mouse rod is cool, your choice.

Steffen makes great rods, he probably has a favorite for just that application. He hikes and fishes and is a great craftsman at making those sorts of things. If I were buying that sort of rod, it would be from him.

Kiley said I should bring a Medalist, I can't say that's a bad choice at all being how bombproof they are. I'm leaning at a newer reel, one I've always wanted but will end up using the good Medalist I have.

Ass writing checks my bank can't cash.
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

the bong rod tube could be worked out, :lol: never thought of that,i had a would be client at one time that wanted a one hitter in the reel seat ,he flaked out and never orderd the rod.steve