where ideas grow
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

thanks!!! that did it,works great now,steve
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

gstrand wrote:I don't check here too often.
No problem Gus, soon as smallstreams.com gets rolling, I'll definately curtail my time there. I much prefer a smaller, quieter site like this one.

It's much easier to get to know people and more importantly, learn something.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I am going to run another writing contest at smallstreams.com It will run for a year and the winner of the contest will be receive a new bamboo fly rod.

It is a great contest and a lot of fun.

smallstreams.com is an old web site and extremely popular. It is wide open, not restricted, graphite, fiberglass, we have even had spin fishers there. Lots of stories and people just chit chatting away. I try to read EVERYTHING posted on a web site that I run, impossible with that site so I'm working with a guy who I trust, Gus and he is doing an excellent job. I've known Gus for a long time now and we have gotten through thick and thin and I trust him completely.

So there you have it.

As I said, I'll take a back seat there soon and get back here, I way like grassart better, I learn so much more here.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

I am enjoying Smallstreams a great deal.It is a really nice venue and man is it growing fast.But like you Adam,I love this place! It is comfortable and small enough that everyone feels like family.Learn something new quite often,which is nice.

It is also nice to be able to talk with everyone here about something that we all are so very passionate about! Making bamboo rods and sharing discoveries in techniques with others who have come to be friends,almost family.Very comfortable here.This place is indeed special and I for one hope it remains so. :)
Will
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Thanks Will.

smallstreams.com is an old site, one of the oldest on the internet dedicated to fly fishing. It is linked and referenced around the world. If you are following, you will know that a team of us created it but I was at the helm, making sure it lived in a safe spot.

The site became a headache, behind the scene. My weakness is the hosting end. The guy heading up that end thought he fly fished and had his own ideas about the direction. He did his own thing so I took on his role with the help of non-flyfishing caretakers. The site path was wiped out and the whole site was gone! Years of thousands of peoples posts gone in a second. It took a week of working with the host, from e-mail to one of the highest engineers to find the path and re-connect the site.

After that, I transfered the site to another person and stepped way back and made Grassart to learn how to make bamboo rods. The guy I transfered it to, well, the site eventually was down and broke.

Timing is everything so I approached Gus to see if we could pull it off.

Gus made it happen and the way it happened, one day, I'll tell the full story in the appropriate place here.

Anyway.

Grassart is my favorite site I've ever made.

smallstreams.com is the first and now I can be a part of it again.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

greendrake wrote:May I ask who designed the logo for smallstreams
*Tom Brennan did the classic smallstreams.com logo, nearly the same way Jim Lees did the grassart logo.

*That is a link from the Wayback Machine, I can not find anything current on Tom.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Thanks Adam,
I checked it out and even got to go back in time and check out an old archived page from smallstreams.
Will
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

The thing is on it's way.

I'm going to get back to posting here. I much prefer a smaller group that I can learn from.
pcg

Post by pcg »

Just registered there & am awaiting okay from the administrator--Adam?
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

I can ok you, I have mail delivered to a general account that I don't typically check, Gus will OK you. If he doesn't, I will no problem.

I am an admin yet I don't do those sorts of duties unless someone forces me to...