old timey as hell

where ideas grow
aguafria

old timey as hell

Post by aguafria »

I didn't want to order a tube for my 1wt rod, which is essentially finished. I remembered I had an old tube that housed a winchester rod that once belonged to a buddy's dad. said buddy broke a tip and the mid section and I offered to repair rewrap and refinish the rod for him - he only needed to spring for a couple new ferrule sets. anyways the rod was a winchester pomeraug 6070 9ft 3/2. he wouldn't spring for the ferrules so I've got the rod. I cut all the wraps off and one day I may do something w/ it. in the meantime, the tube will be used for gin clear and skinny.

according to michael sinclair's book the rod (and tube?) date to the 1920's. I like that.
pcg

Post by pcg »

To drill down a little deeper on dating, the rod was made between 1926 and 1930. How's that for a narrow time frame? Winchester only began naming their models in '26, and was completely out of the rod-making business by 1930. :)
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

well thanks for letting me know that. I'll take some pics of the rod as it is now. varnish looks remarkably nice considering the age of the rod. that said it may have been refinished at some point. and the reel seat looks brand spanking new (I'm pretty sure I remember cleaning it up a bit).
pcg

Post by pcg »

Another piece of arcane data for you... Before The Winchester rods all got romantic names, they were just numbered. The Pomperaug was formerly either the 6065, 6070 or 6075, depending on the length. (Now that's the extent of my knowledge on this rod!)
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

herre are a couple pics of the blank as it exists...note sweep in one of the tips. I also used one of the tip tops on a personal rod.

that reel seat looks brand spanking new.