Yankee Pot Roast

recipes and ideas
Tom Smithwick

Yankee Pot Roast

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Aaargh! I hate February. I'm sick of Winter, and there's no end in sight. I woke up this morning chewing on my casting arm. There's a foot of snow on the ground, and it's still snowing... There's only one thing to do, EAT! This is the ultimate Northern comfort food.

1/4 cup olive oil and two tablespoons of butter.
3 lbs beef, chuck or round roast is OK. no need for an expensive cut.
3 chopped onions
3 chopped carrots
3 chopped celery stalks
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
4 cloves minced garlic
3 whole allspice berries
salt and pepper
1 cup red wine
2 12 to 14 oz. cans beef broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in a little water

Dredge the beef in flour to lightly coat it.
In a dutch oven or other big pot, brown the beef on all sides in the oil and butter. Remove from pot.
Saute the onions until they lightly brown, then add the remaining vegetables and saute a few minutes more. Add the allspice and the wine and simmer for a few minutes. Then add the beef broth. Put the beef back in the pot.
Simmer for 3-4 hours. One hour before you are done, add some peeled potatoes to the pot. Remove beef from pot and put on a cutting board, Stir the cornstarch into the pot and boil for 10 minutes to thicken the gravy.
Slice the beef thickly, break up the potatoes with a fork, and serve with a lot of the vegetable gravy over both meat and potatoes. Serve with a salad or your favorite vegetable.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Man that sounds good Tom. Has me thinking I should have thawed out the cubed venison instead of the venison burger.I put a big pot of chili on and baked some cornbread muffins.Guess we will both eat good while waiting for the snow to stop.
Will
O clarki

Post by O clarki »

Tom: That sounds wonderful! But, why do you bother with the salad and vegetables? :twisted: Meat is good!

Zac
Tom Smithwick

Pot roast

Post by Tom Smithwick »

"Meat is good!" No argument from me on that one Zac, but when you get a bit older, you have to change your meat and potatoes ways if you want to keep looking at the green side of the grass. In the meantime, enjoy yourself, I sure as hell did:-) It looks like you are too.
Bamboo Addict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Addict »

Tom that one was copied and will be tried this week. I do feel for you being snowed in and no fishing. But I feel more sorry for me, be cause the river is fishing good, lots of hatches of BWO's little blue duns. and the March Browns are starting to show, the water is perfect condition. And I am stuck with a broken ankle. I may be back on the water next week.
David
Tom Smithwick

Pot roast

Post by Tom Smithwick »

I think you will enjoy the recipe, Dave. Make sure you cook the meat long enough to get it soft and you won't go wrong.
Take care with the ankle and give it time to get strong. I smacked up one of mine pretty bad about 35 years ago. It healed well, better than the Doc thought, but it still barks at me a bit if I wade a long time in boulder water. Start slow.
Monty Montana

Post by Monty Montana »

Ok Tom...now what. saw your post, read the recipe, copied it and ran to the store.
Drug out the big black cast iron dutch oven and set about making a huge mess in my wife's kitchen...damn this is one sweet "old style" post roast.
You will undoubtly be pleased to know the weight I lost last month ...I found it again.
(and here I thought you were just another pretty face making bamboo rods.)
I'm going to lay down because I will probably fall asleep after that meal.
Thanks,

Monty Montana...

Oh and Roberts, this would be a great meal at Camp Sherman.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Monty you are a man after my own heart.All this modern day cookery will never compare to the old standby cast iron.

When ever I fry chicken,it's in a cast iron skillet.The best breakfast a man can eat: eggs over easy,home fries, and fried catfish fillets all done in a cast iron skillet with about an inch of bacon grease for cooking oil.Not the healthiest but fit for a king.
Will