2010 Metolious

under the big tent
timaaron

2010 Metolious

Post by timaaron »

Since nobody else seems to be posting any pics or a report about the weekend - I guess I'll start one. Unfortunately I've got no pics.

Bottom line - it was a blast - met many new faces, saw some old ones, and missed some of the grassart guys who couldn't make it.

I camped in the dust bowl with my lovely wife, Steve (and son), Joe, Rex "The Monty Man", a few others. Jerry drew some stress curves in the dirt for me and Mats one night - always fun talking to him - but as soon as I feel like I get it - he adds something on top that turns my brain to mush (or maybe that was the whisky).

Also got to meet Paul - saw Carlin - cast a bunch of rods - and actually managed to sell one. Mats was there - as was Anders (still wearing the white cowboy hat). Has he taken that thing off since last year Mats?

As I was last year - I was amazed how - by the end of the weekend - I had pretty much forgotten about everything giong on in my life other than bamboo. Its like Camp Sherman puts you into a trance whereby you start actually believing that bamboo rods are the center of the universe - and that the meaning of life is as simple as figuring out how stress/defelction curves work in tandem. Its a very cool feeling - only 360 days till it happens again.

Also got a very cool light show - saw Jupiter and its moons through the binoculars on Thurs night.
PMcRoberts
Dunsmuir Shingle Shaker

Post by PMcRoberts »

Well, I am sorry to say, but I am back in Napa. It really sucks!!!! Wish I were still up there!!!

I can say a lot about the event, but in a nutshell, it was GREAT fun!!! It was so cool to finally shake hands with several board members and talk face to face!! Royce, you were on my list of folks to meet, but somehow, our paths never crossed....or maybe they did, I just didn't know who to look for!!!! Try again next year if not sooner....deal???

Jenny and I stayed at Cold Springs, and we could not have been happier. The Met. was 50 feet from our porch, and what a beautiful piece of water. I can not remember ever being this relaxed. It was incredible, and I caught a bunch of rainbows on dries there to boot!!!

Every person we met in Camp Sherman couldn't have been nicer!!! Sisters on the other hand was a totally different story!!!! Jenny was sitting on a bench in front of a shop, and a guy comes around the corner with a shovel full of dog crap, and threw it right in front of where she was sitting!!! She threw her arms up and looked at him like WTF!!! He says,"This guys dog keeps crapping on my lawn, and he can have it back. Too bad for you cuz your in the middle of it!!" Then walked off!!! That was one of several attitudes we encountered there!!! Must of been a bad day for most of the town.

So, lets see, Grassart was well represented!!! Myself, Chris Carlin, Jerry Foster, Joe Beelart, Tim Aaron, Steve Kiley, Mats and Anders, Dave Roberts, just to name a few!!!! I cast some really beautiful rods, and to be quite honest, I was embarrassed to even show my wares!!! Hopefully, in the next year, I can get my head out of my ass, and produce something a bit more worthy!!! Time will tell!!

Joe Beelart took Jenny and I on a little hike along the Met., to view some springs, Bull Trout, and some gorgeous scenery. Thank you so much for treating us to a wonderful hike, and fascinating conversation!! You are a kind man, and if you couldn't tell, Jenny absolutely adores you!!!

Chris, man o' man..........you make some nice rods, your gal makes some nice jewelry, and your mom is way cool and a pleasure to talk to!!! When things settle a bit, we will talk about a spiral and a 4wt Quad!!! Dan showed it to me, and I darn near knocked him out so I could run off with it!!! Common sense prevailed, and I figured a quad does me no good behind bars!!!

Steve, Thank you for the reel seat hardware, rod, STUNNING chunk of Walnut and the fun conversations!!! Wish I could have made it to the campfire for some late night chat!! You should see a package shortly in the mail.

Tim, beautiful rods!!! Woods have always been fascinating to me, and your grips and wood accents are second to none!!! I realized after we left Sunday that I spent so much time drooling on the wood work, that I never cast one!!! Geez, I will try to focus better next year!! Regardless, your rods were awesome!! Next year will toss back a few single malts and talk rods!!!

Dave, as always, it was great to see you!! It was nice to meet your wife, Boo, Hardy and Nora!! Jenny and I both enjoyed the visit!!! Maybe next year we could hire you to float Jenny and I over some fish???

Mats and Andy!!!! What a pleasure to meet you two!! We had fun casting, fishing, and hanging out with you over at Gary's place. I got to see your trade rod, and oh my it is nice!!! Oh, and as for your 8'-3" taper.........I love it with a 4!!!! And yes, it does cast a 5 and a 6 just as well!! Hope you got Andy on to some Bull trout!!!

Jerry.....what better way to spend the day than hanging out with you in the shade talking tapers, rods etc. You my friend are a wealth of information, and I like that you challenge me and make my brain hurt!!! I mean that truly as a complement!! You really make me think, both in and out of the box!!! Thank you, and don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep again......that is if you are willing to let me in!!!

Mike, thanks for the visit and the berries!!! Sorry it was short, but none the less, we enjoyed it!!! The Payne 100 is a ton of fun....when built properly...... as we talked about!!!

So, to sum it up, fantastic rods, wonderful people, beautiful scenery and if your teetering on whether you want to go next year, STOP teetering and go!!! I almost backed out, and believe me it would have been a huge mistake!!

See everyone next year!!

Paul and Jenny
Keep smiling........it makes people wonder what you're up to!!!
PMcRoberts
Dunsmuir Shingle Shaker

Post by PMcRoberts »

I forgot to mention that we already booked our cabin for July 2011!!! Although, I am hoping to spend an extra week to fish more!!!

Paul
Keep smiling........it makes people wonder what you're up to!!!
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

Save me and Bonnie cot space on the porch...
matsoberg
Maker: Mats Oberg

Post by matsoberg »

Back home safe and sound. And the luggage throwers managed to get all our stuff to Stockholm also, which might call for a celebration itself...
Andy says hi. Will post some crap and images once I get myself organized and slept the jet-lag off.

Shay. You got the package?
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
Umpqua Beaver

Post by Umpqua Beaver »

Glad you had a safe trip home, Mats. By the way, it's not the luggage throwers you have to worry about--it's the gorillas that do the sorting.
greendrake

Post by greendrake »

Nice reports Tim and Paul.

Mats, Can't wait to see your pics and report.

Will
matsoberg
Maker: Mats Oberg

Post by matsoberg »

Seems like I managed to post the images in the other thread, but here´s some thoughts about my (our) trip this year.

Arrived in Portland on Wedensday and stayed he night with Joe and Sharon Beelart for one heck of a T-bone dinner. Thanks! Steve came over for a visit and I got a set of ferrules from him, so now I have to make a rod for them. ;-)

Drove up to Camp Sherman on Thursday and looked Gary Basin´s cabin up for accomodation the whole stay in the area. Got to meet Paul and Jenny who were in the same resort and it was nice to meet them and to see Paul face to face after corresponding with him here for this long time. Saw the rods he had made first hand and they looked just as beautiful as on the images here.

Friday was fishing the Metoilus. Well, it turned out to be more of a try-out trip as quite some rods were brought and they all needed to be checked. Got to cast a couple of Ron Kusse rods also, which was the first time I saw his work first hand.
Anders seemed to be more interested in playing with Gary´s gorgeous lab Sadie, throwing sticks for her in the river, which must have emptied the river from fish on that strech... LOL.

Saturday was show-time. Don´t know how many rods I cast but we spent the whole day there and it was just as fun as the years before. I almost felt as a regular, getting to meet so many from earlier shows.
Anders was strolling around with his new rod he had wrapped up, showing it to everyone and he was so proud.
Saturday evening was spent at the Smiling River campground and the Pot Luck for which Gary had made us something to bring so we wouldn´t come empty handed. Later we left for the Canyon Creek camp with Joe Beelart, Steve, Tim and Josie Aaron, Mike and the other Tim and their campfire.

Sunday at the show again and the evening was spent at the cliff across the river from Canyon Creek camp with Mike and Jason from Sweetgrass, trying to get in contact with one of them Bull Trouts. A local guy managed to land one before it got dark and we left for the cabin.

Monday we fished the Metolius again with Chris and his mom Sally, which has gotten to be something of a regular thing by now. I managed to land a Bulltrout with some effort, including blue jeans wading and some tricky manouvers with A.J.´s 8½ footer.
Later that day we took off for our journey around Oregon, including meeting up with quite a few people like, Robert Hodge, Al Bellinger, Daryll Whitehead, Chet Croco, Jim Loucks and of course the regular drift in our dear friend Dave Robert´s boat on the Rogue. We even went back to the Metolius on our way up north again as I wanted Andy to get into a Bull Trout. He hooked one allright, but it threw the hook so he´s got a good reason to go back again.

The last stop was back at Joe and Sharon Beelart´s place for spending the night and another heck of a dinner before heading home again. Kiley and I looked Tim and Josie Aaron up at their place as a last get-together for this trip. Thanks for having us over. I had a great time.

The two weeks went by very fast, but that´s how it is when you´re having a good time.

Thank you all you guys!

Mats and Anders
Last edited by matsoberg on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.scandcane.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after". - Henry David Thoreau
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Memories of good times with good people in beautiful places are one of the treasures of life. Reading all of your posts took me back to Oregon 2009; truly a high point of my life.

The stories of this year's Gathering are much appreciated. Paul, I'm glad you and Jenny got to make it! Your reactions to the place and even more, the people, mirror mine.

Let's keep this Grassart family strong. Look at the friendships and life experiences it has already brought us.

Ken

Life is too short to miss the Metolius!
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
Joe Beelart
Author: Oregon Bamboo

It is very good ...

Post by Joe Beelart »

... to see the remarks.

So long ago, there were only a few of us there ... and then, we almost lost a gem, a treasure, our Friend and Brilliant Caneologist, Jerry Foster.

But, he came back, and bad. { I've always wondered about Jerry in a previous life. }

There is so much I want to add, but now is not quite the time. I am very proud of Steve. He has come such a long way since his wood plane form days, and ...

Paul ... make no more reducing remarks about yourself ...

Mats ... thank you for your kind words about Sharon. I will get her into the study and make her read this thread.

The person we were missing ... Poor SnooKen ... I almost bought him an air ticket with my air miles ... about all I can afford right now ... but then Mats and Anders used up our cots ... there would only be a cold floor to bunk Ken out ...

Later,

Joe

Thank you for coming and making the 2010 faire a great event. I wish us all good health to enjoy the 10th in 2011. I've been to all. Things have changed, and it is because of "you."

Ps: as some of you noted, I've fallen in my apprenticeship duties to Master K. Oh well, time takes care of things ...
Apprentice to Steve Kiley