Walker (JW Young(?)) 3" reel

To the bruddah's only...
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Walker (JW Young(?)) 3" reel

Post by Troutgetter »

She's a beauty brothers.

One of 5 or so reels I swore to never sell.

Reel is marked as;'
J.B. Walker
Newcastle on Tyne.

Classic beautiful red agate,
lead finish, "St. George" unported, style reel. Just a classic!
Reel is freshly cleaned and lubed with Hot Shot gun grease.
Reel is provided with a januwyne dead Naugha hide custom soft case. Hell it might really be leather, I don't know. I didn't make it.
The reel's width is 3" wide (rim to rim actually slightly smaller perhaps 2 15/16)
and 1 1/8" wide spool rim to rim.
Slight oxidation at the spools core as shown in the pic. Can be pretty much rubbed off with your finger. Leading gone at the core. Just wore off.

Lead finish is a conservative 85-90% intact. I would personally rate it higher at 95% but it does have normal wear and tear (see sig picture) for a pre-war 70 something year old lead finish flyreel. It's not perfect...ya know? It's been fished. I've never fished it but the spool is nice and tight, no wobble, brass bushings. Body and spool.
Can be disassembled with a red cent.

Anyway...I would like to get $150.00 plus shipping, say 8 bucks insured to lower 48.
I will entertain a trade but I just needs some cash brothers. I will put it on the pimp board in a week or so if no one's interested. Asking price will be in the $225.00 range.
Also..."The Ousel" is still for sale. Will consider offers and trades. See it listed here.
luv,
Mike

PS edit thing...the reel is obviously RHW. Deal with it. Not what I would consider a reversable reel though I suppose it could be done. I "think" the agate's frame is NS. I'm not sure, but it does have a yellowish tinge to it. Not like chrome or nickel.
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Mikey; I'll take it!! PM sent.

Yogi Swamprati (dba TGMK Lmtd.)
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
PMcRoberts
Dunsmuir Shingle Shaker

Post by PMcRoberts »

Dammit Ken!!!

Shouldn't you be out spraying mosquitos or sumptin instead of stalking the Grassart board on a Sunday???

Geez....thats my job!!!

Paul
Keep smiling........it makes people wonder what you're up to!!!
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

You mean I WON!! :shock:

I never "win". NEVER........

Ken

(ps; hey, paul.......I've got this great reel.......it's labeled "Walker" but it's actually a Dingley with an elephant ivory crank knob and the finish is 100% and it used to belong to Winston Churchill....it was a gift from Franklin Roosevelt who picked it up at Paul Young's shop...........I'll have written provenance for the reel as soon as I find a source for a 1937 Smith-Corona with an original ribbon.)
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

Tanks bruddah!
I'll get her boxed up for you

Yes...you won!
It's just like being drafted.
PMcRoberts
Dunsmuir Shingle Shaker

Post by PMcRoberts »

Ah Guys,

I can't complain, I won big last week and inherited a beautiful 7'-6" 3/2 Gene Edwards De Luxe in excellent shape in the original labeled tube, and a 7'-6" Gene Edwards 2/2 in excellent cond. The coolest part is the De Luxe I figured to be a 5wt, and found it throws a 4wt better....and that is my favorite weight line!!!

Glad to see the reel is staying within the Grassart fambily!!

Paul
PMcRoberts
Dunsmuir Shingle Shaker

Post by PMcRoberts »

Mike,

PM me for Kens Napa address :lol:

Paul
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

JUST TO RUB IT IN, PAUL, HERE'S AN OLD CATALOG LISTING FOR THE REEL FROM ANOTHER BRITISH RETAILER.

Martin's Dry Fly

PS; Nice try on the "Napa Address", Big Dawg. :lol:
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

SnooKen wrote:PS; Nice try on the "Napa Address", Big Dawg. :lol:
I almost fell for it...