An Interview with John Channer - Maker

makers, fishers and characters
john channer
Maker: John Channer

days gone by

Post by john channer »

Mems,
Wow, what a stab from the past! I remember Beinlich,s, it was my dad's favorite place, he got in more trouble there than anywhere else,lol.I never really spent much time in the Lantern, my father's office was right next door and he spent enuf time in there at lunch, I grew up and moved away before I was bar age so never really went there more than once or twice when home for visits. I do remember West Park tho, I used to go ice skating every nite after dinner in the winter, no matter how cold it, anything to get out of the house. Now I know it's a small world when 3 guys who lived in the same small town wind up on a relatively obscure bamboo fly rod forum some 35 years later. BTW, I was born in Glencoe and lived there until I was about 10, my grandmother lived on Sheridan Rd. in Kenilworth, remember Peacocks Ice Cream?
john
mems

North Shore

Post by mems »

Steve did you know the Tutrupps? That is who my Dad remarried. I ended up with 5 druggie brothers and one cute step sister.
John did you go to East? My girl friend lived on sheridn road in Glencoe, Pam Bernstein. I did a lot of sailing back then and played soccer at New Trier. The North Shore was a great place, the Ice cream shop in Kenilworth is Homers, and it is still in operation. Lemon chiffon was my favorite. Small world, Mems.
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

Big world...small circle...
I love this...
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

i new who they were,new most of those typs.but back then that was almost everyone of my age.steve
aguafria

Post by aguafria »

I didn't know that mems spoke english.
john channer
Maker: John Channer

LF

Post by john channer »

Mems.
I graduated LFHS in 1970, in those days there was only one. My grandmother died in the early 60's at least up to then the ice cream parlor was Peacock's. I'm sure they had lots more flavors than cinnamon, but that's what I remember best.
john
stevekiley
Maker: Steve Kiley

Post by stevekiley »

mems was one of them named bret or something like that .steve ps i am class of 72
mems

Tutrupps

Post by mems »

Hi Steve, yes Bret was the oldest, and quite the con artist. Jeff was my age and I enjoyed him as a brother. Jinny was the lone girl and we double dated, with my Dad and step mom before they got married. We played tennis and Jinny and I went down to the Lake to talk and hang out. I was thinking of putting the moves on her, then next thing you know I am going to their wedding, and now we are step brother and sister. Both Jinny and I laughed about that one later.
My Dad has since divorced from her and we have all fallen out of touch, but it does show what a small world it is. I was class of '77 at NTE.
Yes Aqua fira I do speek english, and creole, and pidgin, and any other language that gets me into better fishing holes, and out of fights.
I don't know what happened to the Tutrupp's. Jeff moved down to Texas, and Jinny married a lawyer and moved to Beloit Wisconsin, oh yeah I also speak north woods, Ya hey der der, pass another leiny's doncha know. Mems.
greendrake

Sad news

Post by greendrake »

Got up this morning,poured my mug of coffee and fired up the 'putor to read my e=mail.

It was like a slap in the face as the first one I opened was a message from Mary Channer informing the rodmakers list that John died last night on his way back into the house for dinner after helping a neighbor whose car was stuck in deep snow.She suspected that it was a massive heart attack.

I never met John in person but shared many e-mails with him,especially when I first started making rods.I considered him a friend and hoped that we would someday get to meet.He will be greatly missed.

Life is short and fleeting.Enjoy it to the fullest and try not to put off 'til later the things that you really want to do.

Later may never come.

Will
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Will; I'm glad you wrote something on this thread. It caused me to reread the entire thing. Gotta' say I got a little choked up hearing John's voice again talking about his path to becoming a maker and then just reminiscing about the casual connections of life and how they can interweave into a mysteriously beautiful piece of whole cloth. And YES, don't take tomorrow for granted either for yourself or anyone else.
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.