How to take care of a bamboo fly rod.

where ideas grow
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

For off-trail or long hikes I hook the fly into the hook keeper or base of the stripper then take the rod down like a folding wading staff. Reel up the slack line then strip about 3' of line off the reel and wrap that loop around the rod sections. Finally I put the reel in a neoprene case that covers it and encircles the reel seat. That way the whole bundle stays snug and tight and if I have to drop it the reel is protected from dings and dirt.
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.
Pentalux

Post by Pentalux »

Whenever removing or returning the rod from its tube always make a circle with your thumb and forefinger that is smaller in diameter than the tube opening - place this hand over the tube top and pull the rod through this ring in your hand (same for putting it away - slide rod though ring into tube) this will prevent the common accident of breaking off a guide on the mouth edge of the tube.
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Post by adam »

Hey, I been doing that for years...

I wonder where I learned that from?

It's true and it's a great tip, I did it with my plastic rods.

Nice one.
Joe Beelart
Author: Oregon Bamboo

Ferrule soap

Post by Joe Beelart »

From the hundreds of his letters I've gone through, Gary Howells only made a couple of suggestions on rod care.

I think he expected his customers to know how to take care of their cane.

Anyway, he wrote a US Coast Guard man in a cooler climate that if he need to lubricate his ferrules to use only a tiny amount of Ivory bar soap. Ivory soap and no other brand, or words to that effect.

JHektor
Apprentice to Steve Kiley
Monty Montana

Post by Monty Montana »

Gentlemn please...this is the easist answer in the world.

Common sence says:pack rod in break proof package and mail to Monty Montana..he has a fool proof way for you to have the best care possible of all your bamboo rods (and some green Winstons).

He will take some excellent museum quality picture for you to use to show people what you own...all the while he will painstakenly use your rods (this is what they were made for isn't it) and wipe them down and properly store them hanging in his walk in humidor at the perfect storage temperatuer of 68 degrees year round.

Problem solved..everyon happy (especially Monty) and all this loving care for your rods free of any charges or taxes.

What a guy. Just ask Snooken he'll tell ya
SnooKen
The Great Mosquito King

Post by SnooKen »

Monty is indeed A Man Amongst Mountains. What he has neglected to mention is that I offer exactly the same services but with no shipping charges. And notice that he failed to mention the very large number of dogs whom reside with him. Dogs with mouths full of long sharp pointy teeth and 100,000 years of genetic drive to chew on sticks!!
The rods you guys are making today would cause Hiram, Edwards and the Paynes as well as Fred Devine to crap their pants then giggle like boys peeking into the girls' locker room as they strung them up and laid out the first casts.