Well since...

recipes and ideas
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Well since...

Post by Troutgetter »

...Fly Chef isn't going to post his recipes...

What's your favorite hamburger helper?

Since it's cooked on a camp stove and refrigeration isn't always top notch, I prefer HH that requires no milk in camp. so mine is Beef Pasta and Zantac.

What's yours?

Do you have a homemade HH recipe you care to share?

Mine is 'roni's...

1/2 package of elbow macaroni, (add a whole package and double the amount of water at your own risk, prolly a good idea to double the tomato stuff too)
one onion,
one pound of hamburger
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
1 quart water. (roughly)
one big can of tomatoes, one big can tomato sauce
one dink can of tomato paste (optional)
One of those spaghetti sauce foil package things.

Brown hamburger with onion and garlic (don't drain the greasy goodness)
Add all the tomato stuff (fill all the cans with water and add that to the mess to get all the goodness out of the can.) Onions should look kind of transparent...hell you know...
Add water (That should be about two cups after rinsing the cans), add foil sauce. Do it before it comes to a boil. (It seems to mix easier in cold water)
bring to boil
Add macaroni and don't stop stirring the mess until the macaroni is cooked or it will stick and burn on the bottom of the pot. About 15 minutes or so depending on how boiling it really is
You'll need a big pot for this and it will feed four easily, or two if you were fishing all day with nothing to eat. Double amount with two people and you'll be feeding the bears.

Yeah...I eat good when I camp...oh yeah...you'll need a can opener.
Oh...eating good means full of hot food regardless of what it tastes like
adam
hobbyist tinkerer

Re: Well since...

Post by adam »

Troutgetter wrote:...Fly Chef isn't going to post his recipes...
Oh he's going to, he is just busy with something or something.

I'll dig up some of my favorite recipes for HH, the Dutch Oven and hand cranked vanilla ice cream.

And let's do a almejas de vapor thread eh?
Bamboo Addict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Addict »

OK not hamburger helper, what I want is just great two handed man burgers. Do you just get cheap ground round and salt and pepper (or lemon pepper) or a rub or mix in teriyaki.
David
Pentalux

Post by Pentalux »

For burgers I go mid fat hamburger meat - mix in an egg or two depending on how much meat then salt, pepper, a few splashes of worcesteshire sauce and hit the grill - can add some sauteed onions to be done with the meat on side if desired... However I've always thought guides make THE BEST camp food even if you sometimes have to eat it with a head lamp (one of my favorites eaten on the Colorado R. a few years ago) - as they always seem to fish till dark - it was a very good day- but.... Whats your favorite camp meal?
Troutgetter
ratonero de bambú

Post by Troutgetter »

Rob...
I pretty much have to say my favorite camp food is whatever you're making!

Without a doubt the very best camp food (and I have to say I have had some freaking wonderful camp food including what was cooked in camp last year at camp sherman) was cooked in baja over a fire by a little mamacita who patted out fresh tortillas, machaca, frijoles, roasted peppers, and opened your tecate with a smile, with after dinner tequila. The breakfast fire was started an hour before sunrise with the coffee ready just before it started to get light in the east, the dinner fire was started an hour after sunset with the campfire glistening off the fat sizzling on your beef.

She cooked for the johns, her husband and her three kids and fed herself. It was a gotdamn feast every meal. The only thing this gal didn't do was go out and hunt down a cow and butcher it for the weekend and for all I know she probably did before we took off on horseback.

This was a horse pack trip deep into the middle of nowhere baja. A trip that left me with two broken ribs and the only first aid for a hundred miles was a bottle of cactus elixir, but I also had a full belly and was a happy camper. Many, many nice little rainbows taken in deep, dark, baja. The guide was quite upset we didn't provide fish for dinner and breakfast.
That little woman could cook! I wanted to marry her. I think I still do. I know I could teach her to wrap rods...yes days on the beach in a hammock, mama patting out fresh tortillas, sipping ice cold cervesa, shooing monkeys and iguanas away...pondering coconuts, and wondering if that cloud will make it as far as where you are and if Pedro will give you one more days credit at the cantina...I digress...

If I'm cooking camp food, there are two things you can count on. One is, you'll be full, the other is you'll fart your brains out.

Hot and filling (potatoes, gravy, meat, beans, bacon, peppers) trumps gourmet, everytime IMHO, unless gourmet is hot and filling.
Pentalux

Post by Pentalux »

Sounds good to me - About the only real effort I make in camp is first crack at the gruever!